/dist/images/branding/favicon

m15 inverted?

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Soren Nash, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Soren Nash

Soren Nash New Member

just got my M15 and am excited to try it out in inverted mode. anyone know of a how to video for getting it going? are there any particulars about the balance, etc in order to get it right?

thanks

2. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

I would like to know too!

3. Pablo Rodal

Pablo Rodal New Member

4. Robert Pflumm

Robert Pflumm New Member

I don't know of a video but I is my understanding you balance as normal in regular mode. To shoot in inverted mode you just flip the rig and the movi will level the camera. The camera will be upside-down and you are required to rotate the image in post.

5. Markus Mueller

I don't have a video as well, but from my experience it isn't that difficult to set up.
    Robert allready points out what I do. I balance the camera in normal mode, use the kill switch on the remote and flip the camera. The picture will be upside down, but that's not a big thing to correct in post.
    What I just noticed are two things. I was working with an epic+cooke+two Arri FF motors on the M15. That was quite heavy and I always needed a second person to help flipping. One thing was - batteries went down quite quick and second - I had major issues cause the camera started to drift about 5 minutes after setting up. It was ok for the shot, but I have had the impression, that it works more reliable in regular mode.

6. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

So in inverted mode the Movi M15 becomes unreliable? That is too bad. That is one of the reasons why I got because of the inverted mode. Anyone else experience the quick drain on the battery and the drifting?

7. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

I run it inverted all the time. No issues.

If I know I'm going to operate inverted in advance, I balance the camera upside down. Makes it more professional when you deliver the footage, in my opinion.

Cheers,

8. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

How are you balancing upside down so it's upside right on the rails in the square bracket?

9. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

I simply flip the camera 180 degrees.

10. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Oh I see, and then just turn it on? Thanks for all your help Eric!

11. Robert Pflumm

Robert Pflumm New Member

If anyone is having trouble with drift and shortened battery life after inverting it is due to incorrect balance and or cable torque. Something is causing the motors to work harder=shortened battery life and drift. It is important that when balancing that you can tilt/roll the camera in any position and it will stay in that position. For example " I know this is a very light camera" but I flew a 5D III yesterday all day long and never changed a movi battery because the motors where doing very little work. I hope this helps.

12. Balázs Révész

Balázs Révész New Member

Never inverted it since I have the ring. it is a touch lower than inverted but less struggle to change heights.

13. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

How do you like the ring? Is it worth it? Also, when you use the toad and the hole to interchange back to the original handles that come with the M15, do you have to rebalance?

14. Balázs Révész

Balázs Révész New Member

The ring is great tool for the gimbal operator because the gear could easily be rested on the belly or just put on the ground between shots or during those long rehersals. No need to rebalance after changing handles, could be done during rehearsal when you realize the need. You need to switch the Movi off though or switch off motor power on your remote before changing because the top motor can end up in a funny spin when the buckle is released then after changing the handle reposition the angle, fix the buckle then switch the power back on. I only put back the original straight handle for calibrating. If we change there is a shorter handle I made to fit in narrow spaces or car doors-windows. My gimbal operator buddy just loves the ring.

15. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

It should be noted that technically the Movi Ring does not fit the M15 technically. If you remain in Majestic with a small window and low smoothing numbers on your pan axis, you might be okay, but the dual pan tubes will hit the ring. Definitely not suited for remote op work.

16. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Wait...dont you use the ring in place of the handles? Thought there was a toad in hole on ring?

17. Austin Glass

Yes, but the ring is built for the M5 and the M10. The M15 is to large.

image.jpg

18. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Oh, thanks for that heads up. Was going to buy one this week. Its carbon fiber correct? Hmm, wondering where I could source curved carbon fiber tubes? Man I thought they had the ring at NAB with a M15 on it??

Anyone from Freefly want to chime in about fit and if anything is coming out or adapted for M15? Please.
    Thanks again.

19. Austin Glass

Yes, it's carbon tubing. Not sure where to find curved tubing (or even what the process is for bending it, for that matter). I thought I had seen the M15 on it at NAB as well, but we were both mistaken. Upon recollection, there were only one or two M15's there, and all the rest were M5's and M10's.

20. dan mohr

dan mohr New Member

Is bumping the pan bar the only "too small" issue for the ring/M15?