/dist/images/branding/favicon

Heden M21VE-L how to?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by alain baars, Nov 19, 2014.

1. alain baars

alain baars Member

Hedén M21VE-L Follow Focus Motor

I saw this and I am curious about it and have some specific questions:

Could I combing this with the 'finger wheel control' from Redrock?
    How do I power this
    What do I need to get this a working system?

2. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Doesn't work with the Redrock FF.
    You need a Preston, Bartech, or CMotion transmitter and receiver (to name a few).
    The receiver will power the motor via the lemo connector.

Cheers,

3. alain baars

alain baars Member

so there's the Redrock solution with finger wheel control, but if I use another motor I cannot use it in that manner?

what would your solution be? or what do u use or would u like to use?

4. alain baars

alain baars Member

I use a Canon C300 with Canon Photolenses (EF)

5. alain baars

alain baars Member

hi Eric,

on top of that, I have a new question:

I see you use the HD 7 monitors, don't u think they're too big for the M10 or are they very usefull (especially for focus)?

sorry for all these inquirements, just need to get the M10 as gearde as possible, since I used it a lot already this first week.

6. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Correct. As far as I know, the Redrock finger wheel will only work with the RR receiver and RR motor

I have a Bartech system with a PLC Digital receiver and the Heden motor. Works great, but it's not a one-man operation. You need an assistant pulling focus.
    PLC also makes a WiFi receiver that's controlled with a smartphone. I haven't used it but it might be worth looking into.

My onboard monitor is a DP4. My AC7s are for focus puller, client, etc.

Hope this helps.

7. alain baars

alain baars Member

thnx for your feedback.

since I am a one man band I am looking for a ff solution, the Redrock seems nice so but gets criticise zed a lot.
    do you know if there would be a solution for me, other than the RR?
    Am i right that there's only LUT capability on the HD 7 and not on the other monitors?

8. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

9. alain baars

alain baars Member

I know, but I think 7 inch might be a bit big for my movi. the smaller ones don't seem to hav eLUT capability

so, considering a onemanband, the RR seems to be the only option?
    that means that allk steadicammers use RR?
    there must be more options?

10. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

When I operate Steadicam, I always work with a focus puller. I'm sure they're out there, but I've never personally seen an Steadi operator pull focus on their own.

One thing to note is, if you're using mostly wider lenses (16-35) then you can predetermine what the hyperfocal distance is and set it accordingly.

Also, I have a friend who's operating a Canon C100 on a Ronin and he mounted the handgrip controller on the handlebar so he could use the autofocus feature on Canon lenses. That might be another option.

Larger monitors are not as bad as you would think on the MoVI. I put an Odyssey 7Q on my M10. It was heavy, but worked great. Here's a picture
    https://twitter.com/MrRaygun/status/509129554829778944

11. alain baars

alain baars Member

off course its better to have a focus puller, but in my kind of work it's not possible.
    a colleague of mine uses the RR finger wheel on his steadier.

Also, I have a friend who's operating a Canon C100 on a Ronin and he mounted the handgrip controller on the handlebar so he could use the autofocus feature on Canon lenses. That might be another option.

I could upgrade to the AF with my C300 and do that too, it's a good idea.

odyssey looks kinda heavy, probably needs a lot of power too

12. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

Hi Alain,

I have the RR follow focus and it works great with a Heden M26VE. I own the motor and use it for lenses that require more torque like Super Speeds and clamp on MB. Yes, the RR finger-wheel controller works the Heden M26VE through the RedRock Receiver.
    I have not tried it, but I can see no reason why the RR receiver will not work with the Heden M21VE or M21VE-L. Heden makes motors to work with a variety of systems. I cannot see them changing their command protocol. I see that Heden now has their own Hand unit controller, the Carat, and receiver, but I have not tried the system.
    I am very happy with RedRock's hand controller and receiver. I have a newer version. I think the earlier versions might have been problematic. RedRock has an amazing warranty. I have used it. The RR motor is very good for a lot of the corporate work I do. It is very small and lightweight. I just came off a shoot where I got to compare it to the Heden. In this case the RR motor did not display the refined movement of the Heden. But I need to spend some time with the RR motor and see if there is any slop I can take out. Or the gear itself might have just added some unwanted movement.
    Yes, in the A/C world, RR does not have the reputation of Preston (nor cost) or the name recognition of Bartech. I have worked with both the Bartech and RR. I think RR is very comparable to the Bartech system and the FStop reciever, but RR allows you to add the finger-wheel.
    To get back to your questions. The RR receiver powers my Heden M26VE motor through the stock RR motor cable. You would need to supply power to the RR receiver. Some do this from another LiPO, but I use a Vmount battery to power both my camera and wireless follow focus. The finger wheel controller attaches via cable into the "Direct" lemo connector on the RR receiver.
    What kind of lenses are you using? If they turn easily, and if you are mainly doing one-man-band type of shooting, the RR motor might be all you need without adding the Heden motor.

All the best,
    lael

Roy Mills likes this.
  13. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Lael, that's good to know. If it works with M26 it should work M21 as it's the same interface. Was not aware that the Heden motors work with Redrock.

Cheers,

14. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

RTMotion also offer a thumbwheel, and their unit is very reliable and well made. Brilliant unit for MoVI. I heard somewhere they are working on Heden compatibility. Very light weight unit. Also offers IZ control.

Doesn't yet have the solid reputation the Bartech does, but it's on its way there. I've used it about 10 times (now use a PLC/Bartech digital setup also). If it had heden compatibility for those really difficult lenses, I would probably jump ship.

http://www.rtmotion.com/

15. alain baars

alain baars Member

thank you for your detailed answer, Lael.
    I think I'm going to ask Freefly if they know if It is possible to use the M21 with a battery and combined with the finger wheel control.
    Thank you again..

16. alain baars

alain baars Member