/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tilt Not Staying

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Michael Bonocore, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Chase Reynolds

Chase Reynolds New Member

Hey buddy, it's Chase. If you're still having trouble, FaceTime me tomorrow and I'll walk you through it. I think I have a couple of M5's and GH4's in my office.

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

3. Michael Bonocore

Michael Bonocore New Member

Chase? Like, Lens Chase? In Nashville? What the hell are you doing on here? Haha small world :)

4. Michael Bonocore

So, this is why I think there is something wrong with the Tilt Motor. In Manual tuning, I was able to crank it up to 500 without causing any vibration. Somehow that doesn't seem right. So I left it at 500, and this is what I got. Still not holding the tilt.

5. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

i only have one more suggestion double check the mode your in. Other than that I am out of ideas

6. Michael Bonocore

I am in Majestic mode :( is there anyway to lock the tilt in to the position it was in during balancing? That would at least get me through the week filming. Probably not though. I think I'm SOL. The tilt stiffness should not allow me to go to 500 without vibration, right? That shouldn't happen right?

7. Mark Langille

Mark Langille Member

Is you tilt motor working at all? Looks like it is just free floating. If you try and move it by hand on tilt does it resist?
    It could be your tilt motor connector is off, ours came off at one point.

8. Michael Bonocore

Mark, It doesn't seem so. The reading on the chart is always either -55 or +55 when in action. Very weird. It doesn't resist if I try to move it by hand. Is the connector in the box with the green lights? 4 screws on the top? I couldn't find a wrench small enough for them, and the hardware store was closed. I am taking off to the airport headed to Peru. I am hoping someone on my team has a wrench that small and that is what the issue is. Will be be apparent that the connector is off once I open it up?

9. Mark Langille

Mark Langille Member

Yes in the box on the back. Sounds as if the cable is pulled out, easy fix however. You'll see the servo cable off or loose if it is the case.

10. Michael Bonocore

Awesome! I am going to be flying to Peru for the next 24-32 hours, so I won't be able to check until then, but I am happy to know that it "could" be that! I can't wait to check. Hopefully it is! I will check back in soon!

Thanks so much guys!!! You all rock!

11. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Your tilt setting is way to low. For the GH4, reading past posts, you may need to add some weight to the camera. When the system is powered off and you tilt the camera manually does it stay in any tilt position when you let go or does it start to move?

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

13. Michael Bonocore

What do you mean that my tilt setting is way to low? Yeah I have been seeing those posts about adding weight. But it really worked great for days. And I don't think if the motor was working I would be able to tune it to 500 stiffness without any fight back, right?

14. Mark Langille

Mark Langille Member

If its not resisting at all I'd be fairly confident the issue is the disconnected cable. It seems to be a fairly common issue.

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

A 4 setting in general is to low. While it may be working a minimum tilt in the high teens to low 20's is more normal. As Mark mentions it might be a loose cable. But please contact support to see if they can determine anything else being wrong.

16. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Try these stiffness settings for GH4 + 7-14mm lens and let us know how it works out.

tilt 16
    roll 60
    pan 100

17. Chase Reynolds

Chase Reynolds New Member

Ha! Yeah man, I fly/build octocopters too and this site is a wealth of knowledge and nice folks, as you can probably tell. I clicked the "what's new" link and I'd recognize you and your monkey picture anywhere.

Hope you get everything worked out and have a blast in Peru. Safe travels my friend

18. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Had the same symptoms and it was the cord getting pulled out. Very quick to check, and something to rule out right off the bat with this kind of behavior. Contact tech support and they will show you how.

Bryan Edmonds likes this.
  19. Michael Bonocore

Hey guys! Sorry for the delay in letting you know how this turned out. The tilt plug was out, which is why the motor wasn't responsive. Thanks to a personal email from Bryan in Support, I undid the back and plugged the tilt motor back in. Then, it was responsive, but would freak out and jump alot. I gave up trying on the project in Peru, and got home and was busy editing footage. Today, I contacted Bryan, and he suggested making sure I didn't plug the tilt motor back in backwards. Well, low and behold, being the moron I am, I did indeed plug it in backwards, even though Bryan's original steps told me how not to.

So happy to report, Movi M5 is functioning beautifully. Thank you Bryan!

Sam Waltham and Bryan Edmonds like this.
  20. Sam Waltham

Sam Waltham New Member

Hi Michael,

My first post on here!

Just want to see how you are getting on with the Gh4 and M5? I am in the process of getting one.

Have you had any other issues with the weight of the GH4 and balancing it correctly due to it being light?

Thanks!

Sam