/dist/images/branding/favicon

Intermittent Difficultly Connecting to Waypoints

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Johnathan Smeh, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Johnathan Smeh

Johnathan Smeh New Member

Hello,
    Just looking to see if anyone has any suggestions as to how/if it is possible to alter any settings within MicroKopter tool to allow for a smoother way point coupling/flight?
    Some of the problems I experience are the Copter hovering just outside the first way point, seemingly unable to move the last half meter and begin the flight path. As well as oscillations during flight which appear as a bouncing ark beside the intended flight path (even in calm winds).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Hoby Fleece

Hoby Fleece New Member

I am having the same issue. My phantom 2 does perfect waypoint flying.. What gives?? Help would be appreciated.
    Thank You so Much

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hoby: I'm not sure if any of the forum members use waypoint flying with the MK -- some may have experimented with it. You might therefore have better luck getting a response on the Mikrokopter forum at http://forum.mikrokopter.de/ (you may have to click on the English flag if you want translated versions of the pages).

Andy.

5. Hoby Fleece

Hoby Fleece New Member

Thank You. I have. I understand that in autopilot the cs8 does fly way points but, it flies mechanically or the movements are not desired for aerial photography. Is this really the case? How else would you capture a progressive build of a building if you did not fly the same point everytime?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hoby: Good question. I don't know of anyone who has tried to use waypoint flying as a means for creating a time-lapse of a construction project. I'm sure some people must have tried, but don't recall seeing it.

My first question would be whether or not the GPS system would be accurate enough? I think it's pretty good considering that it is consumer grade not military grade.

I'll be interested to see if any other forum members have indeed tried this and how well it worked for them.

Andy

7. Hoby Fleece

Hoby Fleece New Member

When your 300 feet away from your target or more, 6 meters should be good enough. 6 meters i heard is the worse case.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Barring a solar storm, that's what I heard too. Check n3kl.org

Andy.

9. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

My first couple experiments with waypoints didn't go well, but I was having graupner radio problems, and I've since remedied them. So I may try again. o_O

10. Johnathan Smeh

Thank you for all your suggestions and help!
    I've initially thought it maybe an issue with the GPS, but upon doing some cross referencing with another Garmin I own it seems to be fairly accurate (or they simply are both off the same amount)
    Also I have tried adding another antenna to the GPS as well, figuring the connection could of been weak, but again, not much improvement.
    Starting to think this may only be fixed with the GPS P,D,& I Settings which are found within the MikroKopter tool, but I am reluctant to alter them as they are quite confusing to begin with and previous experiences in doing so ended... less than optimally.

Also just in case anyone was wondering, we use our way point flights to measure stockpile quantities of quarries and pits so reoccurring flight paths and images are somewhat necessary (makes things a lot easier). Normally, once it obtains the first way point its fine for the rest of the flight, but its just getting that initial hook up to occur! I'd recommend trying it if you are doing precision flying as it takes some of the weight off of the pilots shoulders. We have found flying a couple meters above the plotted altitude and being as on top of the point as possible creates the best conditions for success.

Cheers

11. Hoby Fleece

Hoby Fleece New Member

Johnathan, can you give us some of your settings and switch positions that you think are important?

12. Johnathan Smeh

We are flying a Cinestar 8
    My version of MicroKopter tool is 2.04a
    The Flight control HW is: 2.5
    The Nav Control HW: 2.0

GPS Wind Correction: 90
    ACCCompensation: 42
    GPS max radius: 245

And as I recall When We do way point flights Typically we give each way point a 6m diameter.

Thank you again in advance for any assistance!

13. Jon Fredericks

I have had varied luck with waypoint flying. It seems to lock onto X-Y readily, but Z doesn't come easily. One thing I've done is to reduce the loiter time to zero in the waypoint generator. That way as soon as it hooks up once it can take off to it's new destination. Having a 2 or 3 second loiter only makes it more challenging to lock on for that long, IMO, especially in wind.