/dist/images/branding/favicon

RED Rock FF Problems?

Discussion in 'Follow Focus' started by William Carnahan, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Hi Everyone,
    After using our microremote for about three weeks our motor seized up. We smelled electrical burning on the set shut down and realized the microremote motor was toast. We purchased from B & H and they are closed until the 19th so we are down for a week. Anyone else have this issue? We are wondering if we should just return it for a refund and purchase something else. it was on a Zeiss Distagon lens so it wasn't a matter of torque. Thanks for any feedback.
    Jonathan

2. Brian Valente

Brian Valente New Member

3. Brian Valente

Brian Valente New Member

PS - If you haven't already done so, you can contact support@redrockmicro.com and they can help pinpoint the problem and go from there.

4. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Hi Brian,

Yes, we followed the instructions to a tee now we are going to add the power regulator that you sell to hopefully keep this problem from happening on the next unit. We would love a more flexible cable from the motor to the power source.

Thanks,
    jonathan

5. Brian Valente

Brian Valente New Member

Good timing - watch for some news this week from the Profusion show.

6. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

7. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Question - if we plan on communicating with the redrock ff from the Freefly Controller, can we just buy the handheld bundle and by-pass having to buy rr's wheel, since we are unlikely to use it? Obviously we will buy Freefly's transmitter add-on.

8. Brian Valente

Brian Valente New Member

Hi Derek - Yes, you can do that. It's a bit ahead of the curve, but we are working with Freefly to get that specific bundle into their store. If you want the fingerwheel option and no wireless handheld controller you can pick up that bundle now from us or any authorized reseller.

Hope that helps

Brian

9. Derek Cooper

Hey Brian,

Thanks - that was quick! K, I'll go source the bundle without the Wireless Handheld from you guys and will use the Controller's wheels instead. Can we choose if we want to use the focus or iris wheel on the Controller, do you know?

Derek

10. Brian Valente

Brian Valente New Member

Hi Derek - I do not know. That would be a question for Freefly. I've only seen it demo with the focus, but that doesn't mean anything. If you find out, could you post the answer here? thanks

Brian

11. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

Derek,

You can use almost any knob you want to control the focus. Within the Controller, there is a fairly robust button-assignment-customization ability.

12. Derek Cooper

Spoke to Freefly - yes, you can configure it how you want! Nice.

13. AJ Lodge

AJ Lodge New Member

Hey Jonathan,

We also showcased our cables at the EVS show not too long ago. This article and video go a little more in depth than the Profusion video. Check it out!

http://hdslrshooter.com/redrock-micros-new-microremote-accessories-at-evs-street-expo-2014/

14. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Hi Brian,

Thanks for this update to RR. I am excited about the new flex cables my eye is on the RR site and will post to everyone once the new flex cable packages are available. If you here about their release it would be great to know.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

15. Nicholas Stich

Nicholas Stich New Member

Hey Matt I've been having the same problem with my base station and motor. Could you let me know what RRM had you do to fix it? Thanks so much!

16. AJ Lodge

AJ Lodge New Member

Hey Nick check out this link for the latest firmware update. If the issues you're having persist past the update please contact support@redrockmicro.com

Forgive me for the late reply!

http://store.redrockmicro.com/updatemygear.html

17. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Just got our new flex cables for Redrock Microremote, power and motor will let you know how they work after the holidays.

18. Zach Rockenstyre

Zach Rockenstyre New Member

Hey Guys,

I never posted an update, but Redrock has been great in helping us resolve our issues with the MicroRemote. We sent all of our units in for them to check out and ever since, we haven't had a single issue. We since have established a great working relationship with them and they've bent over backwards to rectify our troubles. If you've purchase a new Microremote, I'm confident you won't have any problems now. We have more Microremote units now than any other wireless unit and the staff here frequently uses it on their shoots, gimbal or not.

Zach

Jonathan Ross likes this.
  19. AJ Lodge

AJ Lodge New Member

Thanks for posting the update Zach, we appreciate it! As always if you ever have any questions or comments please feel free to contact anyone at Redrock or me directly.

20. Chris Hood

Chris Hood New Member

Having the same issue with my motor constantly spinning after calibration. I've sent an email to Support and Brian so hopefully i'll get the same good service some others have had.

It's been a good piece of kit for me but have had the odd issue with calibration and it cutting out etc but the cables are very stiff so wonder if this doesn't help things with so much tension being put on the ports. Sadly my cable into the motor can freely rotate which i understand isn't meant to happen. Hope this doesn't mean a return as a bit costly and time consuming being in the UK.