/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

Thanks for Posting that Dave, I'll try that on mine.

2. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

Flew my RCTimer Legacy 3-axis gimbal on my Cinestar 6 for the first time! Alexmos 32-bit board. It was struggling a bit, I think because of weight. The gimbal, mounted without the Legacy vibration mount was 2kg, flying a Canon t2i. My CS weight comes in at 2.3 kg, and the max payload of the CS is listed at 2kg. Adding a 8000 4S at 850g, took me that much over the Max payload. I was at 5.15 kg, and the max total is listed at 5.8 kg, so I was still under that number.
    The flight time was only about 3 min, but the good new is the ESC didn't get over heated and the motors were only warm when I landed. I flew fairly aggressively to see if my gimbal would hold and the temps would be fine. Kept a close eye on temps and checked the GPX afterward. I had to use alot of stick input, adjusting the throttle quite a bit, even trying AH and GPS engaged. Focus was a bit off, my tape slipped.
    Appears I need more lift to fly a brushless DSLR, and the t2i is only about 800g with lens. Must be time to build another heli!

Jason Smoker likes this.
  3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I'm in the middle of converting my older Alexmos 3 axis gimbal that I was flying the red with to use with my Canon 5D. I put a 8107 on the roll and its golden. I have a IPOWER 5108 and belt drive on the pan axis and the motors bad as its making some bad noises. Any recommendations if I want to go direct with the pan and the 5D setup?

4. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

Get yourself a pan cage from Brushlessgimbals and go with the T-Motor Gb-90 tones of power

5. Dave King

I had to replace the IPOWER 5108 motor but I accidently cut the wires to the connector before documenting which wire is which. Does anyone know the pin out assignment?

6. Bill Collydas

It don't matter which way the wires are connected. Is just like a brushless motor with ESC. Just flip the connector over or change the direction in the GUI.
    Cheers

Dave King likes this.
  7. Pål Forus

Pål Forus New Member

Hello,
    I just would like to thank you for all the great information that you provide on this forum. Thanks to you I now have a setup that is getting close to where I need it to be. Last mod was adding the MV045 geared pan axis to the brushlessgimbals.com upgraded CM301 gimbal. I have enclosed a test video where the last settings were proved.

Camera is a Sony FDR AX100e. This recording was done in HD, next will be 4k.

Best regards,
    Pål

8. Dave King

I need help. I just upgraded my older brushless gimbal with 8 bit board to 8017 motors and upgraded frame. Everything is good except that when I tilt the camera it will tilt correctly but then reverse directions ever so slightly in the opposite direction. It does this when I tilt up or down. I adjusted the LPF filters on tilt from 0 to 10 and made no difference. I recalibrated the gyro and ACC and it made no difference. Anyone have any suggestions?

9. Dave King

I video taped the screen to show the reaction of the correction and the tilt errors as I am moving the tilt up and down.

Sorry for the bad quality I used my phone.

10. Bill Collydas

Dave in the advance tab try to adjust the pitch trim and add some expo.

11. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Dave, sounds like you need to adjust your TX's subtrim for the tilt channel. I had the same problem recently.

12. Dave King

Thanks I tried Bill's suggestion and it didn't help. Howard all my radio trims are at 0. If it were anything else it would be wanting to move all the time correct? The camera doesn't move if I don't give it any input via the TX. When I give it input from the TX it moves as I instruct it to but it then reverses direction slightly. The amount can vary from virtually nothing to a lot after I stop moving the tilt control.

I've tried playing with the LPF filters and just about everything else and nothing else seems to fix it. I recalibrated the ACC and gyro several times and it makes no difference.

13. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Dave, could it possibly be in your PID settings? Do you see a difference between when you slowly stop giving input vs abruptly stopping giving input?

14. Dave King

I think there's something going on with this board because I checked my notes and I had this problem when I first got it together. I'm going to upgrade to the 32 bit board with dual IMU sensor.

15. Dave King

Switching to the 32 bit Alexmos board with dual IMU sensors cleared up all my tilt issues I posted about. The tilt responses perfectly and does not go up or down after I make tilt moves.

16. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Glad to hear it Dave. So are you still thinking you had a bad board or that it was a software / firmware problem and by going to a new board you got a fresh start on it all?

17. Dave King

Not sure. The 32 bit board with the 2nd sensor makes things a lot easier to dial in. For example I can have a PID on the Pan where the D can go over 100 before it starts to get high frequency vibrations

Devin Card likes this.
  18. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

What are your PIDS for flying?

Devin

19. Dave King

Devin

My PID's are really low with the 32 bit Alexmos and the 8017 motors.
    PID
    12 0.03 8 Roll
    8 0.03 5 tilt
    10 0.03 8 pan

20. Ary Suryanto

Ary Suryanto New Member

Just arrived, Ipower GBM 110-150T. 11 inch diameter 554 gram, max torque 11.5 kg.cm. I will put it for pan axis

Attached Files: