/dist/images/branding/favicon

Upgraded Mobile Charge Station...

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Tristan Twisselman, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

So as some of you may have seen, I used to have this in the back of my car for charging my batteries. While it worked great it wasn't as ideal as having a generator or being plugged directly into the wall. It just ended up not being real practical when trying to charge multiple 6s 16,000 packs.
    [​IMG]

My car is a good sized suv but really just still too small to carry all my gear with ease. I started researching sprinter vans and trading my car in etc. After weighing all of the options I decided on buying a little 6x10 enclosed cargo trailer and setting it up to fit my needs. When I got it, it was just plywood walls and floors with a little 12v light inside that was powered only when plugged into the vehicle. I have since done quite a bit to it; making it exactly how i wanted it, I worked on it roughly one week straight and this is how it turned out. New flooring, carpet walls, added tie down points, multiple chargers, a generator, 12v LED lighting that runs off of 3 AGM batteries inside of a box on the tongue of the trailer which are all kept charged by a solar panel, high output florescent tube lighting that is powered by the generator or when plugged into shore power, PC, 32'' LED monitor, mini fridge, air conditioning/heater, desk with optional counter that folds out turning it into an "L", soldering station, and basically any and all of the necessities while working.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

That's outstanding. Do you have the facility to use the LCD screen for FPV/downlink?

3. Tristan Twisselman

Thanks Steve! I am pretty happy with how it turned out and I am modifying things and revising mounting etc now that I have used it a few trips. The screen is able to live view from the copter and the antennas are mounted on the roof of the trailer.

Steve, we live close enough. Next time I am up your way I will let you know and maybe we can meet up and fly. I was just in Monterey Yesterday. Also, if you ever come through San Luis let me know!

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Fantastic.

5. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Great job Tristan. We've been wanting to build a mobile command station for some time... Great ideas here!

6. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Thats AWESOME!!!!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that little setup set you back? Completely understand if you don't want to answer.

Josh

7. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Tristan, you have done an amazing job. Where did you get the AC/Heater? As Josh said, I'd love to know what I would need to spend to do something like this. I'm reaching the max limits of my SUV and have been wondering what to do next as well. As Steve said, fantastic planning and execution.
    -m

8. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Simply awesome Tristan!

9. Tristan Twisselman

Thanks guys! The ac/heater I actually got on local craigslist for $200 dollars haha. It had a new top cover and i painted the inside cover so it looks completely new and it works like it as well. As far as cost it can vary a lot. The trailer i got i wanted torsion axles because of the smoother ride so the trailer alone was around 4k and bought new. Not including the charging stuff or the computer/monitor i probably have 2k into it and about a weeks worth of work.

10. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

pimp my trailer! simply awesome Tristan!!