/dist/images/branding/favicon

No forward but have everything else...?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Sam Donaghy Bell, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Sam Donaghy Bell

So for the first time (apart from a dodgy ESC) I've had an issue with my CS8. We were flying fine in a forward position then all of a sudden the CS8 wouldn't recognise the forward command on my DX8. It would recognise back, left, right, yaw and the throttle but no forward.

We landed, had a check couldn't see anything then took it up again and it was fine but then it happened again.

I was thinking a recal of the handset and joysticks but the servo setup in the handset all looks fine.

Now, I think I found the answer to this but would like some opinions. I was right beside my teradek bolt pro 2000 receiver, closer than I've ever been before, like less than a foot. I had problems with it when it was right beside my gimbal controller. The gimbal controller would drop out etc.

I moved away from the receiver and did more flights (carefully!) and it was fine for the rest of the day. Was it a coincidence that it started working again and is there something else wrong or am I right with my theory?

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Sam

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

It certainly sounds like radio frequency interference, Sam, but that's pure speculation on my part.
    It sounds like a little more testing, of the form you describe in your posting, would see if the dropouts are repeatable enough to indicate that your hypothesis is correct.

Andy.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Do you have an XBee? Or you could even use the MKUSB. What you want to do is have the sticks monitor open in MKTOOL and see what's happening. I suspect that you'll see that channel become unresponsive in certain situations. Avoid those situations. :eek:

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

"Avoid those situations."

Never truer words spoken, Mr. UAVGC. :)

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  5. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

Do you have a GPX file to reference rx signal and stick inputs?

6. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Could it possibly be an issue with the transmitter? GPX file would be good.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Good question, Brad. I could see it possibly being a mechanical issue with the sticks, but if we can get to see the GPX file as Jeff suggests we can determine whether the Tx is sending the right signal but the Rx is not responding, or whether the Tx isn't even sending the correct signal.

Sam: We wait with bated breath.... :)

Andy.

8. Mark Harris

Mark Harris Member

It cant be RF interference, if you have backwards, you have forwards - they are the same channel, just different values on the same thing. ie: 1500 is stay still, 1250 is full forward, and 1750 is full backwards.

This is a flight controller issue, either flight mode, configuration, or calibration issue.... Devices being close to it or not wont cause this issue, if the copter can go from backwards flight to level, thats exactly the same action as neutral to forwards... so its clearly capable of it.

As others have stated, it could be mechanical, but I doubt it as I would think this would also affect your backwards and transition from backwards to level.

9. Chris McVey

Chris McVey New Member

I would start with the potentiometer in the radio, since you have backwards the systems is working. Most likely the potentiometer is having issues in the radio. These go out over time, or can have basic issues leading to the results you're seeing. Simply open up the servo screen in the radio and check to make sure you see the input for forward and backwards, if you don't see forward, then it's in the radio.

When looking into an issue like this, don't start random. Start from the transmitter and work out.

Transmitter, receiver, flight controller, ESC's and then motors. This is the system in order working together, after that it would be power supply.

Thanks,
    Chris

10. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

Hi Sam, did you check your lateral limits in the DJI software? It sounds as if you have hit the limit hence why you could still go left and right?