/dist/images/branding/favicon

First CS8 Build - Problems with PH

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Bryan Monarch, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Still Hmm. Check out this image (made with MK_GPXTOOL -- you really need to use this to see what's going on with GPX files -- do a Google search for MK_GPXTOOL -- it's such a unique name, you'll get right to the web page.

Look at the compass display in the synthesized on screen display (at the top of the screen, showing W), as well as reported in the data in GridView (269). The copter "thinks" that boom one is pointing West even though the copter is flying to the north east.

Possibilities:
    1. Bad compass.
    2. Something interfering with the compass?
    3. Still don't want to give up on board orientation. The GPS looks fine, but what about the Navigation Control board?

Can you take off the GPS board/shield and take an image showing the Navigation Control Board and boom #1 (or part of it).

Andy

Bryan Monarch Row 17 2014-10-03.png

2. Bryan Monarch

Bryan Monarch New Member

Just to get back to the standard, I've changed my setpoint back to mode 3. I also unchecked the box about the compass, I misunderstood the point of that one.

Also, Gary, the legs are purely temporary. I fly a Movi M5 underneath this most of the time and just fold the legs up out of the way when I'm actually using the gimbal and camera.

Here's a photo of the Nav board and boom 1. I can't seem to find an arrow anywhere on this board. Am I missing it somewhere?

IMG_0029.JPG IMG_0030.JPG

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Bryan: Y'know, I don't think that there is an arrow on it (which is kinda dumb), but the connectors with ribbon cables need to be on the side closest to Boom #8. (EDIT: it should be #8 -- sorry, typo.)

EDIT: So rotate the Navigational Control board 90 degrees clockwise when viewed from above.

That's why the compass is off.
    Andy.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Easy way to get the correct orientation on the NAV board is to view it as if it was stacked on top of the FC. That was the original setup before folks moved it out to the boom. And the orientation had the 2x5 and 2x3 cables very short. The connectors for the NAV were directly above the FC board. That same orientation, as Andy mentions, needs to be done with the NAV board when it is put out on a boom and the extended cables are used.

5. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

The mkgps the writing "MICROKOPTER" needs to be facing the heli so you can read it facing boom 1.

6. Bryan Monarch

Bryan Monarch New Member

You guys rock!

Tonight I flew for the first time being able to use position hold and I have to say that is one of the coolest features I've used in a multirotor yet. I can't even begin to think of all the things I'll be using it for now. Naza has literally nothing on MK.

On to the next issue, I'm currently flying with a Graupner MZ-24 as my main flight remote and using a Spektrum DX8 for the Movi. I've had a lot of really great success with the EZUHF system from Immersion RC on my smaller systems. I obviously really enjoy having the telemetry that the Graupner provides but I like the built in redundancy that the EZUHF has. I'm not sure that I want to make the switch because I've seen a lot of posts about people talking about the warnings and such that they use from the Graupner remotes.

So, from people that have flown the Cinestar much longer than I, what are the most vital pieces of information you use on the Graupner systems that I'd miss if I switched?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

For me, using the MC-32, I would feel really deprived if I couldn't get the talking lady (aka Fraulein Graupner or Jeff's girlfriend) calling out the LiPo voltages every 15 seconds....it means I can use my eyes for purposes other than reading the voltage.

There's also the aural confirmation of flight mode changes (eg. Altitude Hold, etc.) and loss of RC signal.

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.