/dist/images/branding/favicon

GH4 vs 5D

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Dean Roczen, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Dean Roczen

Dean Roczen New Member

Greetings,

Im a single operator slowly getting started... Ive had my C8 for a while now but am finally flying it frequently between all my other responsibilities.

My question is this, I have a Canon 5D which I do like a lot, but Ive also been investigating the much more affordable GH4. Im currently using a 2-axis gimbal (I know.. gettin obsolete) and Im thinking that if I set myself forward with a GH4 platform then when I DO decide to leave the 2-axis behins I could pick up a MOVI5 maybe next spring. If I move forward with the 5D then I'd be looking at a bigger and more epxensive MOVI rig.

Its easy to compare the specs etc.. and I am doing that. But Im early enough along with this venture where I could still choose one platform or another... or both perhaps, Im curious what others here are doing. I guess I could ask for those who are flying 5D's... what is it about that camera that REQUIRES its use?? etc.. etc..

I own a 5D now, but I could sell mine to my sister (a wedding photographer ready to move into the full frame arena) and purchase a GH4.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

DeanR

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Which 5D do you have? I use the 5D Mark III and the GH4, and they're kinda apples vs. oranges. The GH4 offers a bit more in the way of video capabilities, but the 5D is a more complete system (many lenses, etc.) and is far better for stills IMHO. So your best bet is to evaluate your needs. And both work wonderfully well on a M5. That's what I use.

3. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

The things that bug me about my GH4 over my mk3 is
    - no composite out
    - moire patterns noticed in roof shingles at 1080
    - noise at low light (but this shouldn't be a factor in most flying applications)

I've been looking forward to a new 5dmk4 :)

Jeff

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, there are quite a few Google search hits for: 5D Mark IV

Andy

5. Dean Roczen

Dean Roczen New Member

Thanks all! I already own the 5D Mark III so im happy to continue with that down the road.. and to Jeff thanks for the email pic, that really cleared up my near term plans!!

6. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

If Atomos comes up with 4K recorder without a monitor for UAVs, it's going to be a perfect setup for all of us, like Ninja Star but 4K capable.

For video, I use GH4. For stills I use 5D MKIII. I couldn't like the stills coming out from GH4. I also can second Jeff's noise complaint.

Btw, a comparison of GH4 and Sony A7s:

7. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

On the fence with the A7s since we have a bunch of E-mount glass. I've heard rolling shutter is a stinker, but perhaps not an issue with MoVI aerial applications with no whip pans. Also read the the S-log 2 is hard to grade with the 8 bit out and banding.

Jeff