/dist/images/branding/favicon

Which electronics are you using [poll]

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Tyler Olson, Feb 3, 2014.

?

Which Controller are you Using?

1. Mikrokopter

54.8%
  2. DJI

35.5%
  3. Other

9.7%
  1. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Wookong has been kind to me in the past.
    still scared of A2

Graydon Tranquilla likes this.
  2. Graydon Tranquilla

My WKM had over 150 excellent flights before I sold it and moved on to the A2. A2 has had 18 to 20 test flights, mostly for the 3 axis BGC...... but I had to step away due to heavy office workload...... Hope to get back to it very soon while the weather is still good.

And yes, I am a bit fearful of the A2 still due to so many comments I have heard on certain forums.

3. Jim Gilley

Jim Gilley New Member

I'll likely be branded the "trailer park boy" of the crowd for using a DJI Naza2 on my CS8, but it works pretty good for the most part. Long boring story follows, summary at end.

Bought a used stock Quadrocopter CS8 from a guy in early June. He said it flew perfectly. It was totally uncontrollable when I got it. After two miraculous (that I didn't crash) test flights, I figured the MK settings had to be wrong, so I searched the internet in vain for ideas and finally made a couple of very tiny adjustments that resulted in a bad crash on the next test flight. So I decided MK was not for me, and having had good luck with my Phantoms, I ripped out the MK stuff and rewired the CS8 with a Naza2 setup and Maytech 40A ESCs.

First 25 flights were amazing. It was a totally new bird, super easy to fly, very smooth, very stable. I was so pleased with how everything turned out. Then one day for reasons forever unknown, on launch the CS8 came off the ground diagonally backwards, did a hard back-flip at about 2m, then went into the gravel road at full throttle upside down. Destruction: 1 boom, 1 landing gear, all props, 1 motor. Looked worse than it turned out. Working on rebuilding it now.

My other heavy octo is still flying well with a Naza2, but that crash spooked me just a bit, especially since I have no logs and therefore no way to figure out what caused it. No doubt it will happen again. Have a SuperX I might put on my rebuilt CS8 to see how that works out. At least it logs data (in theory). I realize DJI says Naza is no good for big heavy craft, but I think that is a scam to get you to buy their (IMO) over-priced A2 (which still crashes according to many).

TLDR: bought used CS8/MK, crashed it, rebuilt w/ DJI, flew good for a while, but also crashed; what goes up must come down.

4. Graydon Tranquilla

I have own and flown with the Naza 2, WKM and the A2....... so far I have never regretted moving forward from one to the next as the WKM was better than the Naza for flight control and then again the A2 performed better than did the WKM. More specifically, the A2 holds both GPS position and altitude better than does the WKM. But I remain caution with respect to the A2 in view of so many reports of it failing even after 20+ successful initial flights. I suspect there are remaining issues inherent in most FC related to accelerometer biasing such that redundant accelerometers are needed......it has to do with specific high frequency MR airframe vibrations.

But what really surprises me is that your MikroKopter FC system did not work. I always regarded it as superior to DJI FC systems.

5. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

HI guys,
    I`m just about to purchase a heavy lift X8, Skyjib X4 and t-motors 330kv with an A2 controller.
    I have always flowen with MK,for the last 4 years with none existent problems. I´m somehow scared of that A2 with all reports and would like to get your honest opinion. Plan B is to rip out DJI and stacket with MK V3 gear.
    Whats your thoughts¿¿
    Thanks

6. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

I love my WKM on an x8

7. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

Also new to the biz. Build with X8 with A2. Initial flight was scary, but found it was my setup. After correcting my configuration error all flights were stable and smooth until it decided to exit a hover to roll over and hit the ground as fast as it could.

Bitter?

A tad.

Downgraded to the WKM and am more than content to stick with it.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Cody: Were there no clues to the problem in the GPX files from the FOD flights with the MK avionics?

Andy.

9. Cody Hanthorn

Cody Hanthorn Member

Guy in my town has a home brew. Older and wiser electrical engineer friend. He did a DJI propulsion system on a Tarrot with a Pixi hawk FC. My lord there is a lot of telemetry fed back to his TX, and OSD. I am not sure how your guys feel about pixiehawk as a FC. I know he spent significant time setting it up.

Ill look for this GPX file and see what comes up.

-Cody