/dist/images/branding/favicon

My new MK heavy lift copter project

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Dave King, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I might not do the update, I might go with their newer motors. Not sure yet. Got to get through the jobs in August first.

2. Dave King

3. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Dave I am aware of several maybe 10 or more cases of flips and crashes of A2 users my A2 copter has been flying perfect.......... so far!!!! (wood nock nock)
    some say its a batch of defective GPS puck antennas, but who knows it could be something else, DJI has been releasing some firmware updates but unfortunately DJI is apparently MIA, silent on issues on the MRF forum where many users are and have stated their problems, there is a lot of frustration among A2 users that DJI has ZERO technical customer service, they only come to the forum when announcing a new product, so wee all know they read the forum, some times I wonder with all that money DJI has made why they don't hire a A2 specific knowledgeable troubleshooter to take care of customers with problems, in a loos collective of users it is very difficult to separate the real facts of a problem from the perception facts, and properly troubleshoot, not like MK or KDE that immediately they got in touch with customers, look at the problems, and directly and immediately worked on correcting them
    I am walking (flying) this copter carefully testing and testing hoping that I don't get bitten, naively I hope that some one from DJI soon can come out with the proper diagnostic and solution, my understanding is that the Wookong FC had also many issues when release, and now is solid .....my other one is a CS8 MK 4S, I love it, I still have to upgrade it to 6S flat or X config....but the expose MK board design worries me over time.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The active braking feature has nothing to do with the flight controller. It should work equally as well with MK as DJI. If you haven't turned it off in MK_TOOL, then it's turned on by default in the BL 3.0 boards.

5. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Steve im not using MK Bl-3 for this A2 copter Im using individual Maytech Esc and as far as I know the only Esc that can do active breaking are the Mk Bl-3 and the Hercules III boards very nice feature

6. Adam Stonestreet

Adam Stonestreet New Member

7. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

Dave

What type of 18 inch props are you using on the X8? I like your times. The most we have got out of our system was 8min at 26.5 pounds running 16,000. I like your times. I might have to get those KDE motors, and may have to migrate back to mK:rolleyes:. If only there were other ESC's out there that did active braking. I have to say for all the things I hate about DJI and their systems they make up in the flight characteristics. Even when I nats A$$ed the old MK tuning it never near as smooth as my current bird. Albeit I have no experience with the new MK stuff.

8. Dave King

HI Shaun

I actually do not fly the X8 configuration anymore because I was having altitude hold issues when the copter was going forward. It would dip down and up a little too much for my liking. I know that other people have had the same issues and in my opinion the MK stuff was really developed and tuned for a flat 8. I also feel that its really motor dependant because I know some people have not had a problem and many of us have had the issue.

To answer your question I used Tiger 18 inch props when I used this configuration.

9. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

Dave thanks for the info. You did at least find the magic sauce for high flight times for the Coax. I wonder if adjusting on the MK the thrust proportionality would have helped in your case. If I remember correctly in MK you could set it so that when you pitch or roll you can have the lifting motors add more thrust then the falling motors take away on the initial attitude change. I am not sure if that was only affecting it in Manual. It created a new pivot point to prevent the copter from requiring a bunch of manual throttle when the pitch or roll was induced.

I get 8 min at best at 26 pounds with a 16,000 mah. I haven't tried two 10,000's yet that would push my weight with the Ronin almost 30 pounds at that point I will be over stressing everything. I am going to do a flat 8 on a Terot frame that allows the booms to fold for my Ronin. I will probably go back to the Alexmos gimbal on the Coax. I really do love the way the Coax flies with the Wookong. It is solid as rock. It did dip a little on me when I had the ronin on that was a gain issue with extra mass. Of course DJI vs MK is an apple vs orange. As much as liked the system design of MK and the OSD. I have to say that as a camera platform my DJI is light years better than anything I ever could get off of my old MK stuff. I was actually surprised. I can fly without GPS and control the copter much smoother then I ever could with MK. I think I had my MK dialed in fairly well. Although motors and props may be helping as well.

I found that with my tests on different things that my coaxial seems to fly better with the skinny wood props at a higher pitch. When I tried CF props the thing was not as rock soild. The wood props seem to keep it planted well. I am probably losing a little bit of flight time by not having as much Bernoulli lift as a thicker CF prop will have. At the same time I think it is the Bernoulli lift that gets disrupted more on the Coax, so I opted to go with more of a prop that relies on Newton lift or Dynamic Lift.

I guess the moral of the story is two birds for different types of flying. If I need a good pedatl bird I have the Coax. If I need a god dynamic mover than the flat it will be.