/dist/images/branding/favicon

movi and octo keeps spinning

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by damien bredberg, Jul 12, 2014.

1. damien bredberg

damien bredberg New Member

Hi, I've recently purchased a new heavy lift from mikrocopter and my movi m10 on majestic mode keeps spinning, and then the chopper wants to correct it by also spinning.

What is the solution?

2. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Does this happen on the ground or while flying?

damien bredberg likes this.
  3. damien bredberg

It spins on the ground until I click the airbourne mode on my app via the phone. And then relatively still.

But once in the air, spins crazy

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Damien are flying dual operator or single operator? Are you using the remote to control the MoVI? There are posts about operating As a single operator.

5. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

You should only take off with the MoVI set to OFF on the remote, then engage it after take off.

Basically-
    1- turn Movi ON on the ground and let it calibrate. (Be careful if you have it on the copter, the yaw will spin because there is no lift force pulling it up)
    2- quickly switch the MoVI to OFF via the OPERATOR REMOTE
    3- Lift off the ground, then switch to REMOTE or Majestic mode

The copter and MoVI are independent once off the ground unless you somehow mistakenly hard mounted the MoVI??

6. Justin Marx

Also Damien, airborne mode will probably not be what you are thinking.. Your shots will be as if the camera were flying on the nose of an aircraft, if the right side dips so will your shot, if the nose dips, so will your shot.. You will probably want to change this..

7. Justin Marx

Oh also, do you have the TOAD IN THE HOLE installed?

8. damien bredberg

Brilliant reply, thank you so much.

I am flying single operator. Cranking all the settings on my movi app, seem to help by making it all rigid, but concerned it will do exactly as you said, dip when I dip etc.

Haven't installed toad in yhe hole. What is this for.

Thanks again for your help

9. Justin Marx

The toad in the hole will allow you to release the MoVI from the Copter in seconds. No unscrewing every again!!!

10. damien bredberg

Aahhh nice.
    Thanks

11. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Many folks that operate as a single operator set the MoVI to Handheld mode and not Airborne mode. Easier to control.

12. damien bredberg

Will do this next time. But am concerned it will spin in the air like it did the first time, unless I crank up the pan stiffness. However, have been getting a lot of vibration when turned up the tuning.

What ate the best numbers in the movi app to set the tuning of pan, tilt and roll?

Anthony Shorten likes this.
  13. Justin Marx

Damien.. It shouldn't ever spin (yaw) unless you tell it too. On the ground it will because there is no force pulling it up. Take a few pictures of your rig and post it so we can see what's going on.

14. damien bredberg

Long time no chat. Haven't been flying for a while, and I'v been getting different feedback regarding the spinning of my chopper.

So, what I've been told is... When flying majestic mode (1 operator) you should choose the handheld mode in the freely app for the MOVI M10. But when flying with a camera/gimbal operator I should change from handheld to airborne. Is this correct?

Lastly, when or if I fly on my own, I should crank up the pan so the chopper doesn't continue to spin but stay in line with my cinestar (mikrocopter) boom arms so it always points straight. Is this also correct?

If not, any feedback and help would be great.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

16. Cédric Bourgoin

Cédric Bourgoin Distributor

Hi ,lots of people don't understand the principle behind the stabilization systems.

What's a stabilization system made of ?

You have :
    - a detector : this item is recording the 3D position in space.
    - an actuator : here we have brushless motors that make the gimbal spin in several directions
    - an electronic card : this is the brain of the system.

lets make it simple :
    The electronic card have a recorded standard position (evrything horizontal and stable). The electronic card ask the detector: what's your actual position ? the detector return an information about its position in space. The electronic card compare that information with the standard position recorded. If it's different (and it is always the case ) the electronic card send the actuator the command to move until the detector information is the same as the recorded standard position. Our system are always unstable (in limits you can't feel of course :) ) so the system is always correcting its position.

The famous: "I don't understand why my gimabl is spinning on the ground " found the explanation here : The electronic card compare the pan position to the standard one recorded and find that it's not correct so it send the command to the acctuator to move to correct this position. The pan start spinning but... the detector that is on the gimbal doesn't move ! (of course it doesn't move because it's on the ground, the only moving part can be... the multicopter on the top !) so your electronic card is sending continuously the order to move the pan. When you take off, the electronic can now compensate the pan movment until the detector send an information very close to the standard position recorded by the electronic card.

That's why you should always be in "kill mode" on the ground (if your gimbal is attached to a multicopter or attached to the ground)

Best regards,
    Cedric