/dist/images/branding/favicon

CS6 with new MK Hexa XL V3 - Combi?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 6' started by Michael Leonhard, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Michael Leonhard

Michael Leonhard New Member

Have been using a CS6 for more that 2 years now and some of the V2 BL Ctrl went up in smoke (on the bench thankfully, not in the air).
    I wanted to take the opportunity to upgrade to V3, and found out that the mounting holes don't match anymore.
    Even worse, the BL board does not fit over the posts of the battery tray.
    Has anyone else had and solved this problem?
    Also, I would like to encourage development of a new center plate to fit the new BL Ctrl. HiSystems has already posted the dxf file with the dimensions.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I would reach out to Quadrocopter. Those folks are definitely flying a CS6 with the new BL board. No idea what the mounting issues might be, but whatever they are, QC have solved them. Adam Paugh is here on the forum and should be able to answer this.

3. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Just an idea: You can get single BL Ctrl 3.0 boards and connect them via this PDB:
    https://www.mikrocontroller.com/ind...id=826&zenid=1913a2744402173095ab44bf72ceeb8c

Single ESC:
    http://www.quadrocopter.com/Single-BL-Ctrl-V32-2XL_p_1148.html

To stay on the safe side, I would use that MK PDB for I2C distribution and use a better PDB for power distribution:
    http://www.quadrocopter.com/Octo-Power-Distribution-Board-w-Connectors_p_1174.html

My next MK builds will use this method. One of BL Ctrls of my Okto Double XL board burned and I have to send whole PDB to RMA and the time needed for this process is quite a lot if you are doing filming often.

4. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

JUST finished building one and love it. 500 booms, 4012 tigers, 15" xoar beachwoods. two batteries got me 19 minutes with the A7s on the M5 with a healthy cushion. 2nd pic is from my Octo, but we will be flying that camera on the hex very soon here. 2.5 lb, 50 MP medium format.

hlhex.jpg

untitled-15-1.jpg

5. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Ryan, how did you mount the ESCs? Did you buy single ESCs and combined them with PDB?

6. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Out of interest what camera is that? I see phaseone on it but are you shooting stills or movie? any good?

7. David Grover

David Grover New Member

Hi Ryan,

I wouldn't mind knowing too. I thought it was a Phase iXU but it doesn't look quite right!

David (Phase One)

8. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

9. Ryan McMaster

Mounting via this using the 3.2 combi. Fits perfect and holds two 10k's easy. (On the job below)

Menlo hex.jpg

A few details: SO! Did our first job with the hex. M5 + A7S+ Teradek clip we got 24 minute flight times running a pair of 10k MAh 6's using 15x5 Xoars. As much as I love My HL octo... this is my new go to. The client was SO impressed they asked to have us back for all their future work (we snubbed out two DJI S800 evos, we were able to get in the air longer, faster and at a much longer distance due to the Clip and Ubiqiti Rocket M5/antenna). The longest flight we had was 24:05 with 2400 MaH left in the batteries (21.3v), no motors over 45c and the batteries were 31c. We did a total of two hours on the kopter with 5 battery sets, shot a lot of 120 and 60. Best part is the WHOLE rig (+M5 and batteries spare parts etc) fits in two pelicans and assembles in about 15 minutes. We are testing the Black Magic 4k today, but I feel an octo is better for a camera like that.

It is a Phase one IXu. I (as far as the rep and I know) flew the first one on a multi-rotor UAV in the world recently. Great cam, amazing detail and easy to work with. Writing a review at the moment to spec it out. Great for aerial surveing and NDVI (you can fit two comfortably on a CS gimbal and shoot one IR one RGB). Loved the camera!

Jason Smoker and Ozkan Erden like this.
  10. Denis Gliksman

I see you are using MK BL V3 with Tmotors 4012, why not MK 3644 motors ?
    Nobody seems to uses MK motors, specially done for this new BL V3, surprising ???
    Even at Quadrocopter they sale a new Hexa with Dualsky motors, or Octos with Tmotors ...
    Looking at the specs it seems that the 3644 gives the same power than the 4012 or U5, but with smaller props in 6S ...
    Any advice welcome
    regards
    Denis

11. Michael Leonhard

Michael Leonhard New Member

Thanks Guys,
    only just received a notification of the latest post (not previous ones funnily enough).
    In the meantime my CS6 is rebuilt with V2 ESCs and flies as good as ever.
    It is good to know that there is a center plate for V3, but I am not sure the upgrade to V3 is worth it, now that everything works fine.
    Probably for the next build.

12. Ryan McMaster

Denis,

For the most part I don't like the MK motors. They run a lot warmer, lower pole count and don't seem to perform nearly as well as the Tigers for extended periods. I ran the 3628's on my old hex and was never satisfied with them, they would always get super hot (60-70C) even on short flights (2 minutes) with a 500g payload. Swapped to the tiger equivalents and never saw temps over 45C. I tried the dualskys and loved them, but Tiger just seems to keep rolling, the hex is sitting at almost 60 hours now of flight time and I have yet to see any motors (movi M5, a7s with dual 10k's) in 20+ minute flights get over 50C, even on hot days. I also use the tigers on my hex for redundancy in my kit as my octo runs the same booms, motors and props. If I lose a boom on one it takes all of 5 minutes to swap and I can build out a new boom when the job is done.

Ozkan Erden likes this.
  13. Denis Gliksman

Ryan,
    Thanks
    So you have the hexa with tmotors 4012 running with 15' props, MK BLv2 and dual 10000mah 4S lipos , plus a movi m5, and the A7...?
    Regards
    Denis

14. Ryan McMaster

CS6 HL
    Bl3.2, dual 10k 6s on tiger 4012's with 15 xoars and 15 tiger carbons. 500mm booms

15. Denis Gliksman

Thanks
    340,400,or 480kv ?

16. Ryan McMaster

480's Have yet to see them get over 45c even after a 25 minute flight.

17. Ryan McMaster

I have plans for a Y at the moment with a similar build, possibly 400ish KV motors 18 Xoars and possibly 350 booms, but I feel 400's will be a bit more stable.

18. Denis Gliksman

Thanks Ryan
    Strangly they don't sell the 4012 here, they have the 4014 instead ...