/dist/images/branding/favicon

FAA Talk at UNR

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Ryan McMaster, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

So these priorities were taken from a meeting a few in our team went to about the legality of UAS systems at the moment. The FAA apparently wants to develop and legalize systems based on this hierarchy:
    1) News (replace helicopters)
    2) Movie filming
    3) Delivery Services
    Asked the FAA guys a few questions on Critical infrastructure and crop/plant health and they said it was high on their list. They also mentioned a licensing system and the possibility of things without flight data recorders being out of the question.

2. Sean Haverstock

Delivery services??? Over all the other potential uses and with all the potential issues of delivery by UAV. Money does talk in our government.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

And I suspect Flight Data Recorders that don't operate up to power loss will not be allowed. I hope MK will soon develop an NC board that will flush more of the data out to the microSD card rather than losing the last few seconds of flight as they do now.

Andy.

4. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

Sean,

The delivery thing was a distant 3 (as in, 2017-2018 or later. When 12s power is more affordable and prolific). They need to talk to NSA about private operators around our very sensitive critical infrastructure. This was a rough outline and they are looking for input from the UAV/UAS community in Nevada.

Andy,

You know I know this all too well=). They were very impressed with the MK flight data we showed them last week and that was their big concern as we showed them the data and whatnot from our crash. They said knowing it was an I2c was nice but what would have happened after and would be beyond useful.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Agreed. I've not been able to persuade Holger of the need to flush out each GPX row as soon as it is captured. I was hoping that the increase to 500 msec capture rate was a sign of the spare CPU power to flush each row, but....

Andy.