/dist/images/branding/favicon

movi10 prices slashed by 50% ...M15 at $12,000

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Aaranyan Ramanujam, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Steve Speers

Steve Speers New Member

Clearly the motive of this announcement is to sell more units at the cost of customers with the only option being to buy another Movi. It is disgusting!

I though Freefly was a smart and honest company that did have their customers in mind but it is clear they have mislead their highest paying customers. I could have purchase 10 Ronins for what I paid for my two M10s.

Pretty lame Freefly.

I hope you rethink what you are doing.

2. Neil Horsman

Neil Horsman New Member

You have to remember this affects peoples livelihoods. If you purchased a Movi based on renting it out, either dry or wet for x amount of days each month, suddenly the value of your product is halved, and suddenly you have clients questioning the cost of hire, you're forced into reducing your rate and thus suddenly have to double your workload to still cover the cost of the item, where as people buying today get a great deal, they can afford to undercut because they paid half what we did. Yes all equipment depreciates in value the moment the box is opened, it's the manner in which Freefly has screwed it's customers, and isn't willing to stand up and take responsibility. To then bully people into forking out a further $6k is immoral.

Remember it’s us who have put Freefly where they are today, if it wasn't for our belief, and financial commitment the Movi would have been a non-starter, and Freefly wouldn't have grown as they have, it has been our money which has funded, research and development and helped the company ultimately grow. It’s also been our testing, feedback and dedication to seeing the product grow which has led to some really positive advances in the Movi, and the accessories which go with it. To then turn around and basically screw over these customers really says a lot about the ethics of a company; a company who always prided themselves on developing and working with its customers, a company who were always seen to be open and honest are now presenting themselves as a another purely money driven and greedy corporation.

3. Aaranyan Ramanujam

Aaranyan Ramanujam New Member

Can someone from Freefly pls pitch in and clarify or give us an update ? Can there be an option to either upgrade for $3k or buy an new M15 for $6k . also what is the rationale behind setting a deadline of sep 30th ? Kindly have it extended.

4. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

Does everyone forget about when RED did the same thing?

Costs come down as things are mass produced, it's how industry works. Many people are complaining about how the original price didn't add up when you broke it down to the components, and they are right, no it didn't. That isn't how it works though. Everyone is so used to product teardowns and how much each piece actually costs, what doesn't get factored in by anybody is the amount of time that you spend on research and development. Software engineers, hardware engineers, prototypes etc. These things aren't cheap, especially when you are starting out as a new company and trying to get a new product to market.

Brands like DJI have a huge staff of people working in a country where labour and manufacturing is cheap, quite often the latter shows in product quality. Before anyone start calling me a freefly fanboy, I spend a good part of my year assembling multirotor systems for clients, and I build different packages based on budget. I have put together quite a few all DJI systems, and the rate of failure for their zenmuse gimbals is shockingly high, to the point of getting dealers to remove them from the box and test them before shipping (after 3 dead ones in 1 week) Also, being a huge company they are willing to sell a product at a very slim profit margin in order to gain market share.

Harddrives, CPU's, anything tech does this in 6 month cycles. Nobody asks Intel or Western Digital for money back.

The best way to handle this is to go out and keep using the gimbals that you have to make some awesome projects. Most people out there probably don't even need the M15, the M10 is a very capable device, I haven't found the need to have a bigger gimbal, even with a ton of gear mounted onto it, but I've still put my order in for one.

Thats just my take on this.

5. Aaranyan Ramanujam

Aaranyan Ramanujam New Member

agree with prices being slashed and R&D expenses incurred.

RED gave a $5K credit and free dragon upgrade to early adopters.

we are just wondering why freefly promised upgrade for $3000 and then withdrew ? what about the deadline of sep 30th ?

we all feel freefly has become too greedy to sell M15 to early adopters for $6000 and withdraw its upgrade program. Why not sell the M10s as battle tested and give us an upgrade and honour the promise made.

Did we not wait for months to have the M10 delivered with $2500 deposit ?

are we being irrational ?

6. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

With respect to the more recent purchasers, I think this is a good deal for early adopters. At the end of the day, I'll have an improved gimbal and break even. The only difference will be before, I had a gimbal that was worth $15k new, and now I will have a gimbal that's worth $12k new. That $3k is something I was already willing to pay for the upgrade, so the math works out. While it's different than what we thought it would be, the result is exactly the same.

7. Kemalettin Sert

Kemalettin Sert New Member

lol @ this thread :) what happened to all that Movi fans? Everybody did bad mouthing about DJI because of low prices.And M10's high price made it better than Ronin? Now what happened ? just laughing to these comments.
    BTW RED didnt slash prices %100..

8. Sam Windell

Sam Windell Member

Where/when did freefly offer a M15 for $6K for early adopters? I'm an early adopter (first month it was released) and don't see that anywhere.

9. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

Be sure to check the first email you used with Freefly when you placed the deposit.

10. Martin McGuinness

Martin McGuinness New Member

sam here is the email:

** M15 Upgrade Program + Pricing Announcement
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

You have supported us from the beginning of the MōVI and today we want to recognize your continued commitment to Freefly. We are excited to announce the Go BIG Program. This program allows our early adopters of the M10 to purchase an M15 at a one-time price of $5,995 from now until September 30, 2014.

This offer takes the place of the upgrade program previously announced to allow for quicker turnaround, eliminate downtime and give you the ability to have another state-of-the-art stabilizer that can handle up to 15lbs (7kg).

This offer and price is exclusive to you and only you and cannot be transferred or sold. Orders will be processed and shipped in the order that they are received.

11. Brad Seals

Brad Seals New Member

I can understand the price coming down - that happens all the time with technology, but to slash it by 50% makes me feel I paid way too much last December. No consideration for me since I wasn't an "early enough" adopter. How about Freefly slashes the price on the Movi Controller 50% so I don't feel completely screwed??

Kyler Zee likes this.
  12. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

RED cut the prices almost in half, if a company cut them by 100%, it would be free

13. Kemalettin Sert

Kemalettin Sert New Member

Hey look what :) you still have best gimbal on market..Why not appreciate it little bit? Quality=Money
    M10-M15 double price of Ronin now...

14. Nils Ruinet

Nils Ruinet Member

Also, before asking us to decide in the next couple of weeks if we want to go the M15 route or not, maybe it would be nice to tell us exactly what has been improved, and what stays the same.
    Same motors, same sensors ? Or new ones, and what do they change ? What else has changed, other than the ability to carry 3 lbs more weight ?
    Did the size change ? Will it fit into Cinema Oxyde's custom case, or do we need to change that too ?
    If I get it right, the price doesn't include a remote, right ?
    What are the delays between order and shipment ? Are these ready to ship, or do we have to expect a few weeks delay after placing the order before it ships ? Can the early adopter offer be purchased through local dealers, or do we have to order through Freefly ?
    Many questions for which I haven't seen an answer yet...

And as I said in another thread, if you're ditching the upgrade option, at least give us some time to make our choice. End of the year would sound more fair than end of the month.

Thanks.

Kyler Zee likes this.
  15. Wes Greene

Wes Greene New Member

Please be careful; this is incorrect. We received a small discount on the upgrade price to Dragon and a priority bump on ordering.

16. Nils Ruinet

Nils Ruinet Member

True. But don't forget Red also offered a trade-in for the early adopters when the Epic came out : stage 3 was something like "send your Red One back and get a $17.500 (exactly the price we originally paid for the Red One) discount on an Epic. And they offered a (paying) upgrade to the MX sensor when it came out. And a (paying) upgrade to the Dragon sensor when it came out, with once again a significant discount for early adopters (the ones that had already taken advantage of the previous upgrades !).

17. Andrew Griffiths

I see I'm not alone in my disappointment with the Sept 30 deadline or the $6k upgrade price.

How do we make an informed business decision if we do not even have evidence of the value this upgrade will bring? Besides the obvious payload increase (at the expense of AUW) how will the M15 improve on the performance of the M10? Like me, I'm sure most people will want to see results from a variety of cameras, which show improvements worthy of the upgrade price.

I'm always wary of being time pressured into a business purchase, especially when the pressure is pushed by marketing hype without proof of value.

18. Ben Huddleston

I'm was also thrilled at the 50% off price of a new m15, and I get to sell the m10 and maybe break even. Now I get to fly Alexa M's and F55's and invert it easily... Loving that.

Of course this rapid depreciation is a bummer, because of obvious monetary reasons. However, my m10 has not only been pretty good at making a living on its own in rental fees, but enabled me to take jobs that I otherwise wouldn't have been offered, thus increasing my personal income. I really do feel for you guys that either bought the m10 recently, or haven't been able to develop the client base to have broken even yet on your original purchase.

Regarding the Ronins and the others, maybe they'll come up to speed soon. I work on movies, often in remote locations, and there are really 2 things that matter more than anything else pertaining to gear we choose to use: non-glitchy reliability and fast customer support. Freefly has a solid reputation at both, and I'll pay more for that.

Austin Glass likes this.
  19. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

IMO, yes it sucks that the prices dropped so rapidly and so drastically. On the other hand those of you with the m10 can now sell your M10 and basically get an M15 brand new and it not cost you any money. Yea you have to come up with the money now and then sell your m10 or try and sell your m10 first but still it is a great deal for you m10 owners.

For us m5 owners who recently purchased and I am talking like a month or two ago, we get even more shafted. Ours depreciated a thousand dollars and if the m10 was at its current price point I would have bought an m10 instead of the m5. At least those of you with the m10 have an option of upgrading, any of us who bought the m5 just get shafted and slapped with a thousand dollar deduction in the already less than new value our rigs where worth. I would like to see freefly offer an m5 to m10 upgrade option or price as well or it is just a slap in the face to any one who bought an m5. I only bought the m5 cause I couldn't afford the m10 right now.

I guess we all should have learned our lesson with the radian, sell for a premium then have them worth basically nothing a few months later. I realize how technology and depreciating etc works but i hope they do something for us m5 owners because this is the kind of thing that could piss off a lot of people.

20. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Get the M15 and sell the M10 for close to the same figure, or keep a backup gimbal for security on high-stakes jobS.