/dist/images/branding/favicon

Graupner & Firmware 3.08

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Jason Toth, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

firmware 3.08 which supports Graupner PPM. Been trying to get it set up for a bit w/o luck - everything's connected/bound but nothing is responding.

Anyone out there get theirs working?

Some basic questions:
    - on the receiver, any specific channel for the servo wire?
    - on radio, anything that needs to be specifically set up for Movi's ppm?

Thx, J

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jason did you change the radio setting in the GUI and then write it? I tested the Graupner with an MX20 and MC32. You do need to remap channels in the MoVI GUI to the channel/control mapping on the Graupner. They are different than the Spektrum. Once that was done it worked fine.

One other thing is your question on the servo wire. You need to do two things. One is make sure that you have a value called SUM12 set on the transmitter while it is connected to a receiver. The other is that the servo wire needs to be plugged into a specific port on the receiver. Look for the PPM out port in the RX manual and how to set SUM12 on the transmitter.

Which RX and TX are you trying to use? All the of the MK copter pilots on the forum understand this pretty well if they are flying MK with Graupners.

3. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Thanks Gary, we used Graupners for our Radios but never used PPM w/ the Wookong (just didn't trust it). We are using the MC-20 but tried to use the GR-12L w/ Movi which does not have PPM (didn't know). Will try with the GR-12, 16 and 24 later today.

So to make sure. I'll have to bind the RX/TX which will then allow me to go to the telemetry section (ESC) and select the SUM12. Figure out which channel is PPM (I think GR12 is 6, GR16 is 8 and GR24 is 8). Then in the Movi select Gruapner PPM (which i did previously).

Then would i still have to go to the Movi Setings (bind radio) - since the RX/TX is already bound - or it should just work?

For remapping the channels, if the Movi now supports 12 channels, why are there 24 to select from -12 to 12 - just kind of odd?

Thx, J

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Your steps look good. No remind needed on the MoVI. The channel -/+ allow you to reverse direction of a control.

5. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Hey Gary,

Do you notice any lag on your graupner for pan/tilt/roll? Our MoVi seams to respond to stick commands a 1/2 second late, it's really annoying. We have turned off (0) all the MoVi settings like window, expo, etc & still no difference. On the graupner all the curves are flat 0-100. I want to know I anyone else is seeing this & if it's a PPM issue?

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Jason I didn't do extensive testing. MOre to do the upgrade and then test that the new Graupner settings were working correctly.

7. Holger Göhr

Holger Göhr New Member

Well, we have troubles as well.
    Using an mx 20/ GR 16.
    Connected, Sumo and stuff set.
    Is there anywhere a description for the different channels/ channel mapping?

Thanks

8. Holger Göhr

Holger Göhr New Member

Once we found out the settings / mapping for the mode switch it went ok from there.
    Still some turning to do, but functions are there.
    No lag here..

9. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Hi Holger, do you mind posting your settings/instructions for others. We have not had a chance to get it going yet. Thx, Jason

10. Ashley Fairfield

Hi Jason,
    This is what's working for me.
    remote Mode: 5
    remote pan: -2
    remote pan rate: 1
    remote tilt: -3
    remote tilt rate: -12
    remote roll trim: 0

Graupner MX-20. sw 4 = off
    ctrl 9 = majestic
    sw 5 = dual operator
    Hope this helps

11. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Hey Gary, can you help me out w/ a run down on how you set up the MC32 to work w/ movi?

We have multiple mc20's that work w/ the 16&24 receiver but can't get the mc32&receiver it comes w/ to work?

Transmitted:
    - what needs to be changed & to what settings & where to change

Receiver
    - what channel has the ppm out & anything else?

I gave it a few tries and failed :)

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Jason unfortunately I sold my Grupner gear about a year ago and simply don't remember. I do remember I had it programmed to the sliders and ran a separate RX. Maybe Andy can answer since I think he still may use the MC32.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Jason: I do still have the MC-32.
    What receiver are you trying to use with it?

Andy.

14. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Jason: We set up an MZ24 for use with an M5 when we are not using a Movi Controller. No lag, no delay - you can assign any movi function to any control input on your transmitter (sticks, sliders, knobs, etc). We chose to have each stick only control one movi function to avoid any unintentional inputs. One stick for pan, one for tilt, knobs for pan and tilt speed, knob for roll adjustment to level horizon easily, switch for mode selection, switch for camera trigger. You can either just tell your movi what channel to use for each of those functions (match existing channels already assigned in the TX) - or (slightly more work) remap all the channels of the TX to match what the Movi is currently set to look for.

To make all this work, you need to bind the TX and RX together and then change the receiver to send out a SUM signal instead of sending each signal to its own servo port. Its buried a couple levels deep in the menu. If you have any trouble finding it let me know. I still have an MZ24 and an MX20 around to help look for it if you need a hand.

If you map your Movi to match your transmitter positive and negative numbers are how the movi reverses channel signals. So, -5 is just channel 5 reversed by the Movi. Its the same as reversing the signal in your transmitter - just easier to do on the Movi side.

15. Patrick Vollmers

Patrick Vollmers New Member

Hey guys,

i also had problems because i tried to use my MX-16 with a GR-12L.

Here is the solution that worked for me and the reason for my problem:

Graupner has its own philosophy of ppm or sum-signal. There are 3 different version of their sum-signal called SUMO (sum-signal-out, analog), SUMI (sum-signal-in, analog) and SUMD (sum-signal, digital). The only one that gives a analog ppm signal is SUMO. The receiver „GR-12L" doesn’t have the ability to send SUMO (analog) but can send SUMD (digital).
    I took another receiver (the Graupner „GR-16“) wich is able to send SUMO-signal and it worked out direct. The mapping-settings you wrote depend on the pre-settings you make in your transmitter (what action goes to wich channel…).

Everything works out perfectly an with the new Akira-Firmware it got a weapon...

16. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, those L series Rx seem to create a ripple effect problem when used with anything expecting SUMO as you say.

And SUMD is definitely not compatible with SUMO.

Andy.

18. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Hi Andy, using the GR-32L receiver.
    Gave up on getting the MC32 working a few months ago but back at it tomorrow.

Plan is to:
    - bind RX-TX
    - change to SUMO16 "MC32"
    - PPM out from channel 6 "I think thats the PPM out on the GR-32L"
    - pray the darn thing works :)

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Keep us posted, Jason.
    I fret about any Graupner receiver that ends in "L." I got the impression (received prejudice from somewhere) that it means "Low cost," or that it only supports SUMD which is incompatible with SUMO.

Oh....yeah....it was from here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/all-kind-of-graupner-hell.4056/
    And, as you know, Mr. Maller is never wrong (just occasionally misinformed, but very rarely!) :)

Andy
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert