/dist/images/branding/favicon

Introduce yourself.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Hugh Bell, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

He is running a CS8, 360 gimbal, MX20 for copter, DX8 for gimbal, 5dMKII w/20mm lens. Full MK Electronics.

Josh

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Serious kit.
    So what's holding you back, Scott? :)

Andy.

3. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Hello from Tokyo Japan we have been flying cinestar for about 8months now and just bought a new 3-axis cinestar gimbal with radians! we look foward to seeing how this product works!!

Our website http://www.kusatu-tap.com/

4. Scott Loeschner

Scott Loeschner New Member

Thanks for filling in for me Josh! And Andy, I have had a busy few months with my "real" job and a lot of other things. I'm am now just starting to get back into the swing of this Kopter stuff!

5. Pixel Air

Pixel Air New Member

Hallo fellow pilots etc... I am looking at getting the Black Magic camera to use on my awesome 3 axis cinestar gimbal with full Radian set.. Has anyone tried this. My questions are around weight, mounting, jello issues and any problems encountered before I take the plunge. Currently I fly with the Sony CX760e and Canon 7D. My craft is a SJ8 with aerodrive8 board, full MK electronics, AXI 2826/12 motors, 2 x 5s 8000mAh batts, stratosnapper, 14x4.7 APC props, full cinestar gimbal with 3 axis radian and retract landing gear.. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers Mark.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Mark:
    The best thing to do is search the forums -- Tabb Firchau has been experimenting with the Black Magic. There are several folks with CX760. Not sure who's flying a 7D (I'd have to search too!). Also I'm not sure who's using an SJ8, plenty of folks are using MK boards. I use a Stratosnapper and lots of us fly 14 x 4.7 APC Props.

Your retractible landing gear sounds interesting. Can you start a thread under 3 Axis Gimbal and post an image.

Anyway, welcome to the FF Forum.
    Andy.

7. Pixel Air

Pixel Air New Member

Hi Andy, Thanx for an awesome forum I have been following it for the last year and it has helped me a lot during my long learning stage. Thought it was about time that I joined. Just busy tweaking my bird and will post image etc.. soonest. I prefer to land on the retract gear it gives my cam extra protection and easier on uneven ground.

Mark :)

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sounds good, Mark. I'm certainly interested in the retractable gear idea.
    Andy.

9. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

Hello, My name is Bill from Montreal, Canada
    I'm a carpenter by trade and my hobby is RC modelling.
    I've been in RC since 1991 started with planes.
    Moved back to Montreal from B.C. in 2001 after the passing of my father.
    I started the hobby again but this time I got involved with helis.
    I LOVE building helis from scratch.
    Now I'm in the multis. Did I say I LOVE building?
    Well this is what I do. Don't fly much just doing testing and maiden flights.
    I build my own copters.
    Now I'm in the stages of building the mamoth copter.
    I also build some gimbals. I use all original parts from cinestar e.g. pots, servos, belts, wheels and so on.
    I get all my carbon fiber pieces from various vendors.
    I'm glad I found this forum, is a wealth of information here that will help me continue my dream.
    Thanks

Bill

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

@Bill:
    Where did you live in B.C.?
    Sounds like your carpentry skills have helped your modeling skills.

I think people would be very interested in seeing images of The Mammoth....
    There's a sticky thread, Pictures of Your Bird, that would be the ideal place to post such images.

Andy

11. Bill Collydas

First I was in Penticton then moved to Kamloops. Beautiful country.
    I am just getting the parts together now. I just finished cutting the top and bottom plates, and did the landing gear.
    I hope I get all my parts before Christmas that way I have something to do during the holidays.

Cheers

12. Bill Collydas

I don't know my copter is not Freefly or cinestar. It has alot of parts from QC but is mostly custom built.
    Does it makes any difference?

Bill

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Penticton. Yeah. Top end of the Sonoran Desert and Canada's only desert. Great wine country too: The Okanagan. Need to go back and restock the cellar. Little known "public secret": Import duty on Canadian wine into the US is a flat rate of $0.21/bottle regardless of the value of the wine. You can only bring back wine for personal consumption under that tariff, but the limit seems to be about 12 cases. AMHIK. ;) Who says this isn't a "full service forum," eh?

Andy.

14. Bill Collydas

Heck 0.21 cents a bottle? let me know how many you can consume and I send you some of mine....

Bill

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

We've still got a few cases left, but thanks for the offer! Hope you got some of the Foxtrot Pinot 2009. It's to die for. Click on my name above the logo and Start a Conversation -- we probably shouldn't clog the thread with wine talk otherwise the others will want to know where we live... <evil grin>
    Andy.

16. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

OK, I'll play. I've been here a little while now, but I never went through this exercise. Happy to make y'all's acquaintances!

I'm a 53 year old husband to a very patient and loving marriage and family therapist and college professor, and father of two college boys. I was a software engineer with Apple, Microsoft and others for many a moon until 2001, when I declared myself no longer relevant, properly vested, and wanting to spend more time with my family. So I spent a lot of time in Starbucks discussing life with my friends, and quickly grew bored of both my friends and my conversations. So, despite the protestations of almost everybody around me, I decided to cast my lot as a pro photographer, and within a couple years, I was making a living at it. I do weddings, bar mitzvahs, corporate events, trade shows, and business headshots. I am so very fortunate to be able to do this as my "day job"!

A few months ago, a colleague approached me about helping her find an "aerobot" pilot. A client of hers wanted aerial photos and video of a large corporate event setup (just the rigging, etc.) and between the two of us, we couldn't find anybody to do it. And I got to thinking, maybe that'd be something that I'd like to do. And that is how I got started.

I did some research, and being somewhat impatient, I found a nice RTF quadcopter from Xpro Heli in Oregon that came all set up for a GoPro, which seemed like a good place to start. After flying that around for a few months, I convinced myself that this was the right path, and I convinced myself that throwing down for the big iron was the way to go. So I'm currently building a Cinestar 8with a 2-axis gimbal from Quadrocopter.us to start. I've had her in the air a few times (sans camera so far), and what a thrill that is!

I live in Half Moon Bay, CA and my studio is in Burlingame, not far from SFO. If any of you are in the area and want to get together, I'd love to share a coffee or a beer and compare notes.

Thanks to Tabb and Andy and all the other folks for the terrific support and this great resource. I am reminded of my early days in computing and the tremendous sense of community that enveloped most of us at that time. This is such a thrill!

Tally ho!
    Steve

17. Willie Fields

Willie Fields New Member

Recently retired carpenter contractor, life long photographer, and recent film maker. I've been flying RC Helis for about 10 years. I've had several multirotors, the latest build, a DJI 550 with 2 axis gimbal and GoPro.
    Looking to purchase and build a CS6 and 3 axis gimabl. Came here for advice and guidance.

18. anaka

anaka New Member

Hello! I'm Augusto Lombardi fom London, I'm still not a professional aerial filmaker but hope to became very soon ;)

I just got a cinestar 2axis gimbal

19. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

I'll join in!

I'm from British Columbia, (the Vancouver area) and recently bought a cinestar so I can advance into aerial video. I've got an assortment of a few different RC things but multis take the cake for me.

Would really love to find some other multi-flyers in my area! A little perk, I have keys and alarm codes for a very large gym! If you are in the area and its raining, I'm probably flying in there.

20. Dragan Radoicic

Dragan Radoicic New Member

Hello all,
    I'm Dragan from San Diego, CA. My main ocupation is Architecture specificly 3d modeling,rendering etc. (www.3drart.com) I was always interested in airplanes and always had RC models around me. Little bit over 2 years ago I got in to thinking that i should start designing my own copters. Last year I got my self CNC and built first Y6 for GoPro. My apetite grew exponentialy and few weeks later I had new multicopter 6. Now i fly something that looks like Cinestar 6 just little bit easier with DJI wookong m. I have cinestar 360 gimbal and radian stabilization. 95% of time I fly with Sony nex7 sometimes i put Sony A99 or GoPro. I hope to expand my bussines and start paying off my toys ;-) all my photography material in future will be on (www.altitudecam.com)

Regards,