/dist/images/branding/favicon

Blackmagic camera

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Tabb Firchau, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

Why those things never happens to me? When I get back from a trip there are only bills on my desk ! :D
    Looking forward for some footage / opinion. This camera is in my to buy list.

yeehaanow likes this.
  3. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Can't wait! Also interested to see what downlink solution you use.

4. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Tim, I think we will have to use a decimator to convert the HD-SDI to SD Composite.

It is a bit heavier then I hoped for:

blackmagic-11-16.JPG

dannyg likes this.
  5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Is that a Canon lens, Tabb? Looks more like a Nikon?
    Also, am I correct that it doesn't have a built-in battery?

Andy.

6. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

HI Andy,

That is a tokina 11-17 lens. It does have a built in battery. Which I intend to remove ;)

Digitech likes this.
  7. Pixel Air

Pixel Air New Member

Hi Tabb, I am a new member to your forum and have learnt a lot from it over the past year ( thanx ). I have one of your Cinestar 3 axis gimbals with 3 axis Radian and it works awesome. I currently have it under my SJ8 with Aerodrive board and axi motors with 14 " props. I have been flying with a Canon 7D and sony cx760 and it's great. I am now considering the BM camera as I can't afford a Red. Please can you let us know how you are finding the BM cam ie ; mounting, weight, Jello etc...

Thanx Mark.

8. John Gore

John Gore Member

One thing to know about the Black Magic is that it has a very small sensor, so using SLR lenses on it there is about a 2.6x crop factor (or similar). That means it is very hard to get very wide angle aerial footage with this camera. Even an 10mm lens will turn out to be (after 2.5x crop) about a 25mm (SLR equivalent).

Mark, you currently use a 7D with 10-22mm lens. Zoom it to about 18mm (7D has a 1.6x crop factor), and fly like that. Its not too bad, but just bare in mind that what you are seeing at this setup will be similar to the widest that will be possible on the BMC.

Of course, you may not ever "need" to shoot wider than that, but if a client asks for wider... hmm.

I am also very interested to see the footage that Tabb is getting...

Another excellent option is a Nikon D800, which has full HDMI output. Use an external recorder to record at 4.2.2 , which most film editors will really appreciate. ;)

9. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

If you wait for the MFT version of the BMC to come out, then there are wider options. The Olympus 9-18mm for instance. Controlling the aperture might be a hurdle because they are not planning on making an active mount like the EF version.
    You're right that wide shots will be a little more difficult. The main issue being lens distortion. As soon as you post-stabilize any bad pan movements, lens distortion rears its ugly head.

Even with an external recorder, the D800 is still only 8-bit, and won't have the dynamic range of the BMC.
    I think if the other hurdles can be overcome, the BMC will be a sweet camera in the air as an alternative to the other heavier and more expensive options for pro video.

10. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

For EF mount BBMC, there is Sigma 8-16 mm lens alternative which has very good quality. But the problem with this lens is, it's 300 grams heavier than EF-S 10-22 mm and it's not possible to plug-in filter in front of the glass. I certainly wouldn't risk these expensive lens without a filter on though conditions.

11. John Gore

John Gore Member

Anyone shot, seen or found any footage yet? Very keen to see... :)

12. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Do you mean specifically aerial footage yet? Nope haven't seen any. Tabb must have something brewing though...:)

There's plenty of ground footage on the Blackmagic Vimeo group though. It looks glorious from what I've seen.

13. John Gore

John Gore Member

Yes, I mean aerial footage. ;)

14. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I've read some posts elsewhere that indicate rolling shutter is liable to be an issue with this camera, although the Radians, etc. rolling shutter may no longer be a concern.

15. John Gore

John Gore Member

Radians keep the horizon level (for each axis, you know what I mean ;) ), but do little for vibrations. It is fast movement and vibrations that cause the rolling shutter effect to become visible.

Actually, the shutter is always "rolling" , it is just not visible with slow, steady movements. Fast pans, jolts, or vibrations all cause the rolling shutter to become visible. Shooting at a higher shutter speed does help, the vibration isolation system that Cinestar comes with is excellent too. Nothing is perfect though. ;)

16. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I don't think rolling shutter artifacts are helped by a higher shutter speed, it could very well make it worse. The 'rolling' aspect is a fixed rate, so in theory would show up equally at all shutter speeds. If anything, slower shutter speeds could mask the RS effects if it causes motion blur. It really depends on the movement/ vibration.
    I've heard that the rolling shutter on the BMC is somewhere between the Fs100 @ 15 ms and 5D/7D/GH2 @ 25 ms. So if it was at 18-20 ms that would be decent. And being so heavy might help it keep away from the nasty vibes.

What's the scoop, Tabb? Does it fit a standard gimbal?

17. Edward Chegodaev

Edward Chegodaev New Member

Hitler's reaction to Blackmagic Cinema announcement...

18. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

I've been shooting the last year or so on the Alexa, prior to that a lot of 16 and 35. The Alexa shoots very very pretty pictures and I'm quite happy with work I me done with it . I recently had a chance to play with the Blackmagic Camera here in Rome. Do I dare say it that it has the look of a baby Alexa!!! For 3000 it takes amazing pictures. Yes I wish it would shoot 120 fps and do a few other things that other cameras do. But when I look at image quality and cinematic patina I'm blown away by it. Yes an Epic has larger sensor and does far more but when you look at the price differential the BMC is a standout.

It's the camera I've been waiting to put on my bird. I've needed a camera that's relatively light but can deliver image quality that will make my commercial and feature clients happy.

19. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Also I do not want to spend a pile of cash right now on Red Epic or Scarlett. I'm also curious what's going to come at NAB in a month.

20. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Your "Bird" if it is the stock CS8 most likely won't carry it without a few changes. The BMC comes in around 4 lbs without a lens and it is only HD-SDI out so you'll need something like the decimator 2 to convert to down link. Add that with a lens and your AUW is going to be considerably more than with a 5DIII or similar.
    I agree though, it's a cracking little camera thats really affordable and shoots wonderful footage.