/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 not functioning. A bit of help please.

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Jason Magbanua, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Jason Magbanua

Jason Magbanua New Member

Ok so we've tried to reset everything back to default. We're on the latest firmware. Still no dice.

The motors responsible for the tilt don't seem to be functioning.

Attached is a clip of the Movi turned on. Please let me know what seems to be the problem and possible solutions.

View My Video

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jason what to do you have as your stiffness settings for the tilt access?

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Just to amplify Gary's thought a bit:

1. What are the LED's doing on the gimbal controller?

2. Is it just the tilt axis that is limp?

Andy.

4. Christopher Gill

Christopher Gill New Member

I had a very similar situation. The LED's would flash very quickly, and the motors would never engage. It would just stay limp. I ended up having to send mine in to be fixed. Ultimately, the GCU had failed, but they weren't able to find the reason. I hadn't even brought it on a shoot when it happened to mine.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Just remember that when you upgrade to the latest firmware the stiffness settings are set to zero, so you need to reload them from a previously saved configuration file. The setting to zero makes the MōVI go limp after power up -- but you should see the green LEDs on steady and indicating the current battery level.

Andy.

6. Adam Kirby

Adam Kirby New Member

Ok, I've got the same issue. Anyone out there able to help?

I've been using my M5 all week with no problems at all. Then today I balanced the camera as usual and turned on the MoVi and the tilt axis is just limp. I can turn the stiffness up to 200 and it's still limp. It's not a settings problem, it's a hardware issue, I'm sure.

Please can anyone help or supply a number for technical support as I'm right in the middle of a shoot and I'm screwed if I don't get this working asap.

To reiterate - camera is balanced fine. Every axis works fine except the tilt which is totally limp no matter what stiffness setting I have. Lights at the back are solid green as usual and the MoVi had been working fine. Any ideas? Please please help someone?

Thanks

Adam

ue

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Adam make sure the wires for tilt are fully seated. May be a loose connection. And send a support ticket to support@freeflysystems.com.

8. Jason Magbanua

Jason Magbanua New Member

Thank you so much to tech support for the speedy help. I am copy pasting instructions of Bryan for future reference:

Thank you for contacting Freefly tech support. It looks as though your tilt motor has become disconnected. The most likely culprit is the connection at the bottom of the Motor Control box.

To check this connection, you only need to remove the four bolts on the cover where the power switch is. The switch will stay attached to the cover but there will be enough slack in the cable to pull it aside to see the bottom of the Motor Control Box. There will be there connections going into the bottom of the Motor Control box, likely the middle one is disconnected. The plug will have exposed contacts on one side of the plug, they need to be facing the vertical carbon tube.

Let me know if you don't find that cable loose. If it isn't we can do some further troubleshooting to find the cause of your tilt failure.

9. Scott Strimple

Hey Jason! Whazzzz Up!? Just checking in to see if Bryan's solution solved your issue. Welcome to the Movi World Bro!