/dist/images/branding/favicon

Hurricane Wheels Remote head control

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Thomas Walker, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Tov Belling

Tov Belling Member

Hi all.
    My set of Hurricane Operating Wheels arrived. Setup was fine, and tested great. I'm really happy with the action and response time. Feels no different from Scorpio/ Libra wheels. There is a small issue with the trainer button on my DX7s, but hope to resolve soon. Very nice work, gotta love the German attention to detail. Will send pics/ vid if anyone is interested.

2. pedro faerstein

Hi,

Is anyone using those?

Reviews?

They are sold out at paralinx website, but they really caught my attention.

3. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

I got a set of hurricane wheels. Really nice and a dream to operate once they are setup. However there are things which can be improved for the setup.

4. Matthias Uhlig

Matthias Uhlig New Member

Hi All,
    we now have a dedicated website for the Hurricane Wheels : www.hurricanewheels.tv
    Watch for news about new products around IBC & Cinec. We have some exciting new things coming up...

Tov, Charles, thanks for the kind words... we are working hard to make things easier to set up in the future. But with so many gimbal systems we support (i'd say, almos any), it sometimes means there are compromises to be made.

5. Tov Belling

Tov Belling Member

Hi. Just finished a really demanding commercial with horses inside offices and the rest. Decided to bite the bullet and shoot the whole thing off the Movi hard mounted on the dolly (with my own custom vibration isolator). No tracks, long lenses, flexibility, and these wheels. So good, it allowed me to achieve at least an extra 4 setups each day.
    Yes there are config issues, but once you are up and running I cant think of a system that gives such value in time and money.
    Nice!
    T

6. Paul Christopher Greene

Anyone up for renting a set of Hurricane Wheels for 1 day shoot in Chicago? Please email me pcg at flight av dot com thank you.

7. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

I have the version one of the hurricane wheels. This system requires the controller to be connected to the DX7 controller with the slave button pressed down with a physical hack "rubber band?" The setup basically is dependent on a number of systems tied together. One break in this chain and the system goes down. Also there are so many factors which come in to play with the m15, such as drift, which the controller cannot compensate .
    Because of this I would not recommend for shoots with clients around. Currently my hurricane wheels sit packed up and unused.

Perhaps the version 2 of the Hurricane wheels has solved this with stand alone connection to the gimbal.
    But I don't have one and can't recommend it.

Currently I am using the MOVI controller, it works really well. on the fly access to the gimbal tuning and drift adjustment. And if you find joystick control too much of a fiddle. The movi controller has mimic feature built into it. you can hand hold it to get operate or rig it to a fluid head. Operation in this setup is as easy as it gets.

I highly recommend the Movi controller.

#27 Charles Lim, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  8. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Is it not possible to get rid of drift with trim/sub trim and end points in the DX7 radio?

9. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I've never used the Hurricane's, but I own the PLC Veracity Wheels and love, love, love them. They open up so many possibilities with the M15.

There's a slight delay in the response, which you have to get used to and work with. It's not a lot, but if you're doing dual-operator work, then you need good communication among the team about starts and stops to the camera moves. Adjusting the Sensitivity is key -- I'm constantly tweaking it, depending on the speed of the moves.

There's still some slight drift, even with the Zero-ing option on the PLC's. I was having to re-zero the unit every time we turned the Movi off and on, but recently my friend told me that you don't need to do this as long as the Wheels are off when you boot the Movi up.

I just had a day where we were using the Movi with Veracity Wheels, and then switched over to TechnoCrane with a MoSys Remote head (basically a motorized Lamda Head). I got to operate both systems back-to-back, and while there's just the slightest bit more delay with the Veracity's, I was really impressed by how comparable they are to operate.

The MoSys wheels had a weird thing where the weighting was off, and if you didn't keep a hand on the wheels, they'd fall as a result of gravity pulling down on the handle that sticks out. I don't have that little issue with the PLC's, so there's one tiny advantage. :)

I believe both Hurricane and Veracity Wheels have improved over the last year or two, and the upgrades make them worth looking into.

10. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

i tried that, the DX7 trims are not sensitive enough to rid the drifts.