/dist/images/branding/favicon

3.0.8 Firmware update problem

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by lee ju sung, Jul 17, 2014.

1. arnaud Cousin

arnaud Cousin New Member

Thank you Pete ,
    But I'm French and don't know what a jumper is , can you explain me ?

Arnaud

2. arnaud Cousin

arnaud Cousin New Member

Ok I understand it's a cable to comunicate with the movi .
    What kind of cable do I have to order ?
    Thank you.
    Arnaud

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

4. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

It's just a small cable that plugs into one of the ports on the M5, I'm not sure exactly what it does but you need it to fix your problem. It is something that you need to get from Freefly, tell them your problem and they will send you it.

Seems to be an issue, were you using a Mac?

Pete

5. Robert Marks

Robert Marks Member

Hi Pete,

Can you please upload a picture of the cable and port connection? It cannot be too hard to build one of these cables. I have the same issue and really no time to have one shipped from the states. Thanks, Robert.

6. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

Hi Mark,

It came pretty quickly to me in the end, 3 days from the states. I wouldn't recommend building one yourself unless you had pin out diagram from Freefly. Looks like there are some electronics in it too, more of a dongle than just and cable....

Pete

7. Robert Marks

Robert Marks Member

Ok, so I need that cable.

Thanks for the info!

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Robert: Check your "inbox" for a private Conversation.
    Andy.

9. Robert Marks

Robert Marks Member

Thanks to Andy and Denise from Freefly for the great and fast support. I got the problem resolved within hours which is awesome!

I could manufacture the jumper cable myself which was not too hard. Great customer service!

10. Jonathan Cohen

Jonathan Cohen New Member

Hello,
    I'm also having trouble updating to firmware 3.08 as well.
    I have a Movi M5
    Android App. version 1.552, PC app version 3.08.
    Movi firmware 3.07

I've downloaded the firmware update file "Movi_enc_v3.08.bin"

Once I select the update firmware option and the file above, it begins by a "bootstrapping peripheral" window, followed by the update window. Almost immediately I receive an "error during upload" window and the Movi disconnects from the bluetooth. I can only reconnect by rebooting the Movi. The same error occurs when I try again. If I don't do the update, I have no problem using the bluetooth to update my setting on the Movi but the minute I try and update the firmware, it disconnects with the upload error window.

Suggestions? What's this cable that has been mentioned on this thread? Is that a hard wire connection from the PC to Movi for an update?

Thanks!

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. I've not heard of that issue before.....I'd suggest opening a ticket with Freefly, support@freeflysystems.com.

I'll see if I can reproduce the problem, but I'll not have time until later on today.

Waitaminit.....you're using the .bin file -- I'm pretty sure that's for the Mac OS. For the Android you should be using the .apk file. Can you go to http://freeflysystems.com/software-manuals/ and scroll down and verify that you have downloaded the Configurator app for Android, please?

Andy.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Just to confirm, you should be using the Android Configurator App. vn. 1.552.
    On the FF web site this is stored as file: Freefly_Configurator_Android_1.552.zip
    When you download this and decompress it turns into Freefly_Configurator_Android_1.552.apk -- and that's the application file for Android.

Can you confirm that this is what you have?
    Andy.

13. Jonathan Cohen

Hi Andy,

I have indeed downloaded the Android app. version as well as the PC version of the app. (3.08). The manual for the firmware states that I need to open the 'Movi_enc_v3.08.bin' file for the firmware update.

Using my Android phone, after selecting to update the firmware, I'm given a message "Ready to flash. Do you wish to continue?". Once I select yes, the Movi loses it's bluetooth connection (the squares on the left hand side of the app change color from green/blue to grey) and I receive the following message "Failed to update firmware! If device supports WIFI and bluetooth please reboot device and update using bluetooth". I've tried updating my firmware with both the WIFI and bluetooth turned on as well as only with the bluetooth turned on. Both attempts failed.
    I should also mention that if I try to update using my PC, the bluetooth connection is also lost the minute I see the "bootstrapping peripheral" window, followed by the "Fail to update" window.
    When I reboot the Movi I get the following light sequence:
    - All 3 Lights turn on for approx. 1 second.
    - All 3 lights turn off for approx. 5 seconds.
    - All 3 lights flash very quickly followed by a few slow flashes of the bottom light.
    - All 3 lights are on.
    It simply refuses to begin updating. Once the update fails, I'm unable to connect the Movi to the app until I reboot. It then works again and I'm able to change settings, all but the firmware update.
    I've contacted Freefly support and am waiting to hear if they will ship me a jumper cable. Is it simply a hardwire cable that enables a firmware update without using bluetooth?

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The jumper cable, when connected to the MōVI controller and the MoVI controller is powered on, forces it into a firmware update mode.

Not quite sure what to suggest -- it sounds like you're doing all the right steps.

You could try making sure that there are no other apps running on your Android device, and it's physically close to the MoVI (just so there's no other Bluetooth devices "interfering" with the update).

Puzzling.
    Andy.

15. Jonathan Cohen

The Movi was right next to my PC as well as my phone when the attempt to connect was made. Even Freefly support find this puzzling and have asked me to send them a video of what happens during the firmware update as well as when I reboot the Movi.

Strange and Annoying!

16. HJ Passard

HJ Passard New Member

same problem...

17. nothing movi

nothing movi Member

Anyone have a solution for

"Failed to update firmware! If device supports WIFI and bluetooth please reboot device and update using bluetooth"

I'm speaking with the freefly guys but they don't know either. this is the only mention of this issue online

18. Clyde Cabanban

Clyde Cabanban New Member

was this issue ever resolved?