/dist/images/branding/favicon

GPS Location Information

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Richard Dobson, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Richard Dobson

Richard Dobson New Member

I have never tried to use the flight log on the GPS so I have not seen what the data looks like. I am wondering if it records each lat and long that the copter moves. Seems that would be a big list. If it does not have that ability does anyone know of a way to achieve this? I see some GPS data loggers out there but they record every 5 seconds and others are 10. The copter will have moved quite a bit in that time frame. I would like to have the data for every change of a say a meter.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

If you are talking about the Mikrokopter Navigation Control Board, then this is relevant: http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/GPX

Currently, the data is written to the GPX file twice a second.

Andy.

3. Richard Dobson

Thanks Andy, So it is written to the Navi board twice a second, cool. So by my calculations, a minute flight would have 120 GPS locations. Okay, now the real stupid question. I took a look at your link and I could not decifer any lat and long information. Where would I find the instructions to start recording this data and how to get it out. Thanks for your help.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

There are no instructions required to start recording. You merely insert a 2GB microSD card into the MK Navigation Control Board and when the board sees that you've increased the throttle above 40% then it assumes you're "flying" (you don't even have to have the props mounted, in fact) and logging automatically starts. It stops either when (a) you turn the motor off or (b) when you, cough, crash.

The lat/long data is stored in each track point.

See
    <trk>
    <name>Flight</name>
    <trkseg>
    <trkpt lat="+53.2856050" lon="+7.4849955"> --> Gps-Position
    <ele>2.379</ele> --> GPS-Altitude in m and mm
    <time>2012-03-23T15:00:04Z</time> --> GPS-Time
    <sat>9</sat> --> Number of Satelites

After the flight, you can put the microSD card into a card reader attached to your computer and copy the file associated for each flight to your computer and then view it. Do a Google search for:
    mikrokopter gpx viewer

You'll see that there are two (usually the first two search hits): SimpleGPXViewer and MK_GPXTool. Personally, I use MK_GPXTool.
    Andy.

5. Richard Dobson

So a track point will be created twice a second?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yes, you get a complete TrackPoint plus MK-Data shown on that link. The 500 millisecond value is something you control depending on a parameter you put in the SETTINGS.INI file on the microSD card (one is created by the Navigation Control Board if it doesn't find one already there).

Attached is a sample GPX file -- it's a test flight I did with an MK Hexacopter. You can open it with a plain text editor or download a GPX Viewer.

Andy.

Attached Files: