/dist/images/branding/favicon

Using an EasyRig with M10

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Jonathan Stevenson, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Jonathan Stevenson

Hey guys, curious if anyone has had a chance to test this setup yet?

I just did a demo for a production company with the M10 (they're hoping to bring it onto a production). During the demo, the DP pulled an EasyRig from the back and we mounted it up. Although it was very SIMPLE to mount up the M10 to the rig (just hook up the handle), I found the movements to be MUCH less stable, because the EasyRig basically translates all your hip movement directly into the Movi.

Having only played around with it for 10 minutes, I'm sure there are things that can be done to improve this setup. I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance to try this out and if they've been able to achieve better results through different mounting OR different tuning of the M10 motors to accommodate for such movements?

2. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Curious if the movement your talking about is Pan movement using Majestic mode or if your talking about a translation movement as your walking with the EasyRig?

3. Jonathan Stevenson

Sorry, to clarify, I'm talking about translation movement. The image was very wobbly. Majestic mode still performed great, just the stabilization wasn't as good as just walking around with the M10.

4. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I personally haven't tried the EasyRig yet. I imagine that as you say, if your hips move, so does the top of the EasyRig, which is pulling the MōVI side to side as you walk. So lateral movements in forward motion, translation.

5. Jonathan Stevenson

Yes exactly. The rig also swayed back and forth, which I understand is just a forward/aft balancing issue when you mount to the EasyRig, so that could use some adjusting. But overall, if what I saw today was how the M10 will look on an EasyRig, I would not be interested in that setup, despite how nice it was to have the weight off my arms...

I'm just wondering if there are certain tuning settings that can be done to the motors (i.e. reduce/increasing stiffness, etc) to help deal with all that extra translation movement.

6. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

The motors are only acting on pan, roll and tilt so they have no control over translation moves. That is left up to how the rig is mounted/carried.

Depending on what your shooting, the translation caused by the EasyRig may not be very noticeable in say outdoor shots vs wide indoor shots in close spaces...

Im sure someone else who has tried it with EasyRig will comment soon.

7. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Been playing with our rig today. Lots of testing. Pulled out the easy rig and found some similar issues. Upon testing it further part of the problem has to do with the fact that the easy rig arm doesn't extend far enough to provide enough clearance for optimal operating. We're planning on building an extension bracket for the easy rig that will pitch the m10 further away from the body and may help with some of the wobble issues. Also operating solely off the handle you link the m10 to the easy rig helps. Holding the handle bars can actually hinder the stabilization when linked to the easy rig.

8. Carey Lee Coffey

9. Josh Shimasaki

Josh Shimasaki New Member

I had same kindo of issue. I guess you have to compromise when you shoot long walking shot like documentary or such... I used easy rig for first test and it was hard to avoid wobling movement. I'm thinking to try put MoVI up/down position and connect to Steadycam Arm.

10. Charles Bergquist

Same here, we tried it on a shoot and movement of the top bar when walking made it unusable. You really do need your legs and arms for that additional stabilization for the MoVI to work smoothly.

11. Josh Shimasaki

Josh Shimasaki New Member

However, Easy rig is still usefull for sitting the back or side of the car filming steady tracking shot.

Charles Bergquist likes this.
  12. Charles Bergquist

Absolutely.

13. pedro faerstein

I Bought a easyrig 3 300n extended arm, as some recomended, and it was very easy to see in my tests that it wouldn't work well by simply attaching the m10 to it. What I did was to use 4 bongo ties with the smaller cameras and 6 bongo ties with heavier camera between movi's bar and the easyrig hook.

It worked exceptionally well, cancelling out the up and down movement the easyrig introduces (a bit cheaper than flowcine's solution). With that I was even able to do smooth up and down movements.

Yesterday I did some shots, running full speed alongside an athlete, and it was completely smooth.

Charles Bergquist likes this.
  14. Vin Guglielmina

Vin Guglielmina New Member

After a few long days with a fully rigged up epic on the movi I either needed to start hitting the gym hard or figure out another way. Tried the easy rig with extension arm and was really happy with how much it helped with the weight but very disappointed anytime I tried to move.

The Serene from Flowcine is the answer to all our easy rig problems, Ive got my preorder in. Cant wait for that to drop.

15. Charles Bergquist

Pedro, pretty inventive! Would be interesting to try it with some different type of bands.

16. pedro faerstein

Thanks Charles,

Even though bongo ties don't look that cool as a permament solution, they are actually perfect. I was using 6 of them flying an epic with superspeeds and mattebox, bartech and teradek. I was kind of amazed at how they cancelled out the easyrig movement.

17. Giorgio Sironi

Giorgio Sironi New Member

Hi guys, almost wanted to keep this for myself, but what the heck.. we are family!
    I am using, since months, a pretty cool system called ATLAS, it is really great. I own a easy rig but I don't think that it is THE solution.
    Atlas is a bit cumbersome in the height but works a charm. You can go from ground level to stretched arms in one movement and takes 2 thirds (or more) of the weight from your arms.
    Checked and tested I think is a winner.
    Almost thought to get the reseller place for Austria, but we are not a shop so ... well let the professionals do it. I just really believe in it.

www.atlascamerasupport.com/

Don't let the pictures irritate you, they are using a g-rig, well that a long awful story....
    Cheers

18. Giorgio Sironi

Giorgio Sironi New Member

Forgot to say, the whole system starts at 349$ !!!!!!!
    That is almost nothing.
    Ciao

19. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Any video you can supply of it with an M10? Seems like an interesting option.

20. Adolfo Cantu-Villarreal

We've used the Atlas as well, we went for the "New Heavyweight/Middleweight Combo". For the price it seemed like an easy buy if it would allow us for longer shots. Similar to the easyrig (which I only tried once), it does still have the translation movement issue that Jonathan mentioned; although in my experience I felt it was less an issue than the easy rig as there is a little more flex on the fiberglass rod that it uses to hold the weight of the rig.

As I said, walking can be tricky, but one of the best uses we found for it was to do standing or very fine-movement shots, were we do very small movements; and for that, it's an amazing tool, as it's taking the weight of your arms, which allows you to fine tune really slow movements. We used it extensively for a short film we just shot and for a project that required me to follow a procession in the scorching Texas heat, in which I managed a 13 minute long shot, which without the Atlas, my arms would've come off their sockets :)

It can definitely be a beating on your back if used for prolonged times, which I did in a 14 hour shoot... But on their site they give the option for a custom harness, which we might take of it makes it a little more confortable. We might give that a shot too.

For the price range, I'd definitely recommend.