/dist/images/branding/favicon

Warning regarding SmallHD DP-4 and Paralinx TX / USB Power

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Wolf Schiebel, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

Hi all,

after having lots of trouble with my SmallHD DP-4 Monitor i figured out (after reading the manual) that the Paralinx Transmitter is needing to much power from the USB-Port of the monitor.

The monitor started to do strange things like flickering and even switching of during a shoot. After sending it to the service they changed the main board, and everything was well again, but after 6-7 weeks it started again. I read the manual and the tech specs on the website (http://www.smallhd.com/products/dp4/specs.html) really close this time and it says that the maximum power on the USB port is 0.5A/2.5 watts, unlike other USB´s which are 5 watt/1A mostly. The Paralinx TX consumes 5 watt, so my only conclusion was that the double than "allowed" power consumption started the trouble. I soldered the Paralinx d-tap to USP adapter directly on the SmallHD power input (Sony N-FP adapter plate) and never had any trouble since…

So i thought i might share this and start a discussion if i was the only one with this kind of trouble.
    The configuration the most people use in powering the TX from the USB port is definitely out of the manufacturers certified range ...

Cheers,

Wolf

George Russell and Ozkan Erden like this.
  2. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Thanks for posting this, Wolf. This is a known issue which I've seen discussed previously. It also affects the range of the transmitter if it doesn't have enough power.

I'm running everything, including camera, off a V-Mount so running a separate D-tap for the TX was my solution.

3. Jim Robertson

Jim Robertson Member

can you show jus the cable you soldered and does anyone make it as i am not the best solderer

4. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

Jim,

I removed the Smallhd battery plate, drilled a small hole at the bottom. Then cut of the dtap plug of the Paralinx cable and wired it through the hole. Soldered the red wire to + and the white to - at the battery plate. Quite easy, but you most likely will lose warranty.

Best,
    Wolf image.jpg

Jim Robertson likes this.
  5. Jim Robertson

Jim Robertson Member

Thanks for posting, I'm not as adventurous as you when it comes to soldering so if any other power solutions come up let me know.