/dist/images/branding/favicon

Remote follow focus with MoVI controller

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Lee Runion, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Lee Runion

Lee Runion New Member

We just got the new controller in and love how much more natural it feels than the futaba (being from the photographic world, not the rc world) however, we are having difficulty getting the redrock micro remote follow focus system to sync up and work.

One part of the new movi controller's manual says that the channels for the redrock system should be set to "D" - on the redrock base station as well as on the new controller's receiver. Another part of the manual, however, says that D is one of the channels not currently available to use.
    So, first we tried setting everything to channel D \, got the slow blinking green/orange light that the chart indicated should be appearing, did the binding process, made sure that under the Radio Configuration area of the menu that microremote for focus was selected. Nothing happened. Powered everything off, and then looked at the Radio Config on the menu and it defaulted back to "none" and of course nothing happened.
    We then tried a different channel (A, since that was one of the channels listed as an available one in the other area of the manual) and had the same results of absolutely nothing, with the controller always going back to "none" on that part of the menu.
    Both of us have gone through the guide and steps on our own hoping maybe we skipped a step or got something wrong but just can't figure out what it is.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how do we go about fixing it??

Thank you!

2. Mike King

Mike King Member

I have the exact same problem. I put in a support email last night and received a reply that I would hear back today, but haven't yet. One thing to do is save the TX setting after you choose micro remote in the FIZ setup. I did this after getting tired of having to select it everytime I rebooted - but it did nothing to fix the communication problem.

3. Shane Colton

Shane Colton New Member

Channel D is used to change the system over to Redrock (if switching between systems, it can also be used for Axis 1 or as a regular MōVI Controller Receiver). If you're already configured as a Redrock (slow blinking green/orange light), use any channel 1-9, A, B, or C on both sides and it should connect up. If not, try re-powering the microRemote. No need to do any of the bind instructions.

Mike is right on saving the FIZ System setup permanently: it is done through the Tx Config menu using Tx Action::Save. It will also save which input you have mapped (Focus, Iris, Zoom) and the directions.

Channels 0, D, E, F are reserved for low-power transmitters so they can't be used for communication. They're just used to change modes if switching between Redrock/Axis 1/MōVI Receiver. So if you got an Auxiliary Transmitter configured for Redrock, you shouldn't have to do that step from p.27 of the manual - it has been done for you prior to shipping. It could come in handy later if you need to change systems or use it as a spare Receiver, though.

4. Mike King

Mike King Member

Thanks for the post Shane. I tried going the other way through the channels C - B - A, etc.. After setting both transmitter and base station to the matching channel and then rebooting - the best I could get was alternating solid green light followed by 12 flashing green lights, but no control. I double checked the system by trying to lock up to the Redrock controller through these other channels and it worked evert time.

5. Shane Colton

Shane Colton New Member

Mike, thanks for the clarification. In your case I think you will need to complete the steps on p.27 for changing the Auxiliary Transmitter back to Redrock mode. It sounds like it got switched back to being a MōVI Controller Receiver (green light only).
    1. Set the Channel Switch to D.
    2. Press and hold the FW button.
    3. Press the Bind button once.
    Once it's back in the Redrock transmitter mode you should have an alternating green / orange light (slow flashing). You should power cycle the Auxiliary Transmitter after changing modes. Unplugging it from the Aux Data port and plugging it back in will do. Then you can match the channels on it and the microRemote (0-9, A, B, or C) and they should link up. If that doesn't work, some other things you can try:
    • Power cycle and recalibrate the microRemote side.
    • Make sure the FIZ Config::System is set to microRemote. Sounds like you figured out how to save this permanently already.
    Lee, if you've already got the Auxiliary Transmitter in Redrock mode (slow alternating green/orange light) then you wouldn't need to do Step 1-3 above (from p.27 of the manual). They come pre-configured based on what you select at check-out. Mode changing is there as an option in case you want to switch systems later.
    Hope that helps!

6. Hello Aerial

Hello Aerial New Member

Hey guys...

Anyway to get the Hayden Follow Focus to work with the new Movi Controller? Just received our new controller and hoping to use it with our Hayden Follow focus...

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello Hello (and that's not an echo)

Welcome to the forum.

If it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/
    Thanks

Andy

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

The controller only works with Red Rock and Hocus.

9. Rob Drewett

Rob Drewett Member

And will soon work with RT motion!

10. Lee Runion

Lee Runion New Member

Thanks so much guys, that did the trick!

11. Mike King

Mike King Member

Thanks Shane,
    I got back on it this afternoon and tried everything you suggested, but only get alternating red/green flashing lights. It flashes green a few times after changing channels and power cycling, but goes back to red/green.

12. Mike King

Mike King Member

OK, new update. I went through the whole process again with brand new batteries, and started working through the channels again and I now get focus control on channel 9. The transmitter still flashes red/green but the knob turns the lens....

13. Shane Colton

Shane Colton New Member

Great, sounds like it's back in Redrock mode. I think the orange light is actually quite orange-red. :)

Once it's in that mode it should stay like that on future power ups - no need to repeat all those steps each time. If the FIZ Config::System is set to microRemote, you should only have to match the channels on each side to 1-9, A, B, or C, then power up both sides, and it should connect. If you are having trouble connecting or are getting interference from another system, you can change channels. Changing channels requires a power cycle of the microRemote side.

One more tip: If you want to switch back to the Redrock handset without changing channels, you can set the FIZ Config::System to None or just unplug the Auxiliary Transmitter from the Aux Data port to disable it.

14. Mike King

Mike King Member

Thanks for all the help Shane! Very much appreciated!
    Mike

15. Michael Elsegood

Hey Rob,

This is great news!? Where did you hear that? I too have only seen Hocus and RR - which is a bummer as I have a RT Motion 3.1 sitting here ready to go.

Would love to hear some more info - thanks for the heads up!

Cheers

Michael

16. Rob Drewett

Rob Drewett Member

I heard the news from Kris at RT Motion. Movi are going to be working on integrating it, been chatting today and have a new 3.1 on its way to them to get things moving!
    So will keep you informed! I'm sure it is possible with a bit of programming.

17. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Just wondering if there is any more news on using the rt motion working , I have a job coming up and would love to use the controller for ff, iris etc
    I'm hoping to use it from sept 10th.

18. Mark Sanders

Mark Sanders New Member

Hello ,

The manual isn't really clear with his explanation about the upgrade kit with the red rock remote control unit.

Can somebody of the people of freefly post some pictures of the setup on the m15 and the set-up on the movi controller ?
    I would be a great help?

Regards mark

19. Leopoldo Tamargo

Hello

Can you shed some light on when the Movi Controller will work with RT Motion?

Thank you

Leo

20. Guillaume MARION

Hi guys, experiencing same problem...

Movi controler + redrock TX + red rock micro / LED flaching Orange/green / FIZ set to redneck / Same channel

But nothing happened in between !!