/dist/images/branding/favicon

Horizon is not level ?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Nicos Argillet, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Nicos Argillet

Nicos Argillet New Member

Hi,

I recently purchased a Movi M5 to use with a GH4. During my early tests I noticed that the horizon level was way off.

No level 1.png

So I went back to configuration room and set the Roll trim using the GH4 level display.

GH4 2.JPG

But that tool is not precise enough as I had it display a correct level from a value of 0,5 to 2,5 degrees ! I decided to go with an in between value and called it a day. But today my test shots were still off, but in the other angle.

No level 2.png

I was wondering if anyone experienced the same troubles setting a correct Roll trim value ? I was really surprised that the value was wrong in the first place as I was assuming that the Movi itself would correct angles. Isn't it what it is suppose to do ? I am doing something wrong (mounting, balancing, cage geometry...) ?

As you probably understood, I have no tablet at the moment to tweak it "live" on the beach but I will consider mounting a proper bubble level on top of the upper rail to confirm horizon level accuracy. But I am wondering if the Roll Trim values are something you have to set depending on lenses or cameras on just once for all ?

Thank you to take time to answer my questions.

Nicos

2. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

On occasion the rig will boot with the horizon being incorrect. I do not know the cause of this, but I will usually simply power off and back on again, and the issue is almost always resolved.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Nicos other things that may affect this. Camera mount to the MoVI sliding plate is not square. Camera sensor, bottom plate and hot shoe are not all parallel to each other. I find that with my setup, depending on the camera I need a small adjustment to roll trim. I do that in the GUI so that I can write it to memory. You can do it with the remote but that doesn't 'stick' in the MoVI's memory.

I put a ruler on the water line of your image and it might be off a 1/2mm but hard to tell exactly on a monitor.

4. Nicos Argillet

Nicos Argillet New Member

Hi Austin & Gary and thank you very much for your support. The problem was consistent upon several reboot so it might be as Gary described a Geometry problem between the camera and the plate. I will try to fix it after some more tests and find the correct value for my setup. I'll let you know if I encounter some difficulties.

Nicos