/dist/images/branding/favicon

Dji Ronin?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Sam Fleishman, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Chris Corsello

Chris Corsello New Member

Now lets remember you where the one who said the unit had drift problems. Right? The unit that is out in a week or 2 that no one has yet. How is that not making up stuff? Be clear please.

The Ronin holds more then the M10 and has more shooting modes then the M10. That is the definition of more capability. Freefly didnt invent brushless gimbals you know that right? The M10 is lighter...... and?

I never had to deal with shorter battery life. I understood the need to correctly balance a camera on the gimbal before even turning it on. I spent the last 2 years learning/playing with brushless gimbals. The last year building a couple well Before the Movi was out. Its quite sad you think I dont understand gimbals. I understood that movi was charging you 3k in parts and a 12k premium for its software. give or take.......

I figured in a year something would come out better. I might be right and will know very soon.

2. Senthil Nathan

Good l
    Good luck mate lols.

3. Chris Corsello

Chris Corsello New Member

Sorry you spent as much as you did. lols.....

4. Justin John

Justin John Member

I've used / owned most all the zenmuse series gimbals, the alexmos 8 bit and 32 bit boards and a Movi M10 and M5. All have to be corrected for horizon drift issues, not one of them is immune to it. The Movi M10 is the best but I always need roll input on all flights to correct horizon drift.

I've used the M10 and alexmos gimbals in all sorts of scenarios on, boats, planes, helicopters and out the back of trucks and the horizon drift exists on all.

Its a limit of the technology. I expect the Ronin to have these limits. Preproduction models have been shipped to DJI's favourite dealers / the guys that buy the most product. They are Kopterworx, AerialMedia Pros, and 1UAS.com, its been a few days now since they have received them and still no review videos. You think these guys would crank something out really quickly.

Brushless gimbals were the real game changer and we have DJI to thank for that, I went from telling clients "that will buff out in post" to them telling me "we got the shot, you are wrapped" in the first 4 takes out of 10 possible flights.

DJI started it with the zenmuse series. Alexmos opened it up, studied it and duplicated it (but with many bugs). Freefly revolutionized it by investing time and money into R&D, re inventing its uses and bringing it to the masses. You can now review Movi / Octocopter footage along side with Russian arm footage and not tell the difference in regards to stabilization.

Think of alexmos being the "Windows" version (more powerful, more expandable, cheaper, more buggy, less user friendly and poor hardware quality control) And freefly is the "Apple" version, they ironed out the bugs and made it sexy, easy to use, reliable and widely known on a global scale.

Kudos to Tabb and freefly on great execution and a great product.

5. DanDeSilva

DanDeSilva Member

DJI just dropped their price too $2999.00

6. Michael Braun

Michael Braun Member

I hope Movi stays in pro level and doesn't dump the prices like DJI is doing with every product.

Senthil Nathan likes this.
  7. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Right so I have just spent a day testing the Ronin, and find it very hard to fault. Its heavy is the major one, but can take a higher payload, and many operators i know have been looking into the serene or the slingshot anyway.
    But we put it through its paces, even put it on a jib with an epic and a canon f4 400mm lens and it was still great. Its far less likely to be broken by other people should u choose to dry hire it, i know several rental companies in the uk that are looking to stock the Ronin now, where they weren't keen to do that with the MoVI. Applications as a very affordable hot head are fantastic. The OS app is good. And the price for the quality of product is amazing. In someways the price is a real negative as it may mean that many production companies just buy their own, but we will see, you still need a good operator.
    I can't see what the M15 will do that this can't, and the M15 upgrade will cost me more so it starts to look like it doesn't make sense to do, unless the price becomes more competitive. It also comes in its own laser cut pelicase for that price. Even if I bought it as a second unit or for those shots that the MoVI struggles to do Id still be saving money rather than upgrade to the M15.
    Ill be interested to see how freely respond as there is now a serious player in the market, and lots of the added things like marking, quick release everywhere, brief case mode, are very good and I'm not sure how much id be prepared to spend now this has hit the market. Im very seriously considering getting one. What do freely have to offer and at what price point ??

Veve Borimov likes this.
  8. Jacob Schwarz

Jacob Schwarz Member

Mark i'm in the same boat as you. At first i thought it was just another cheap knock off, but everything that i've heard was that it pretty durable and stable. yeah it heavy, but i can get pass that. Now i'm sitting on the fence about upgrading to the M15 or having a 2nd gimbal and get a DJI. I'll give freefly the benefit of the doubt and see what they offer as they have always been great to me and i love the new movi controller.

9. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

For me the M15 is going to have to do more than I've seen advertised at a lower price point. I still love the MoVI and the controller is great, if i had tried the ronin first would i have invested in the controller, not sure as it ties me into the freely product. But I have to say its far from a cheap knock off. We discussed the price with them, They claim they dropped it because at that price it makes it almost impossible for other people to rip it off and mass produce it, avoiding lots of the knock offs we have all seen, also i suspect to aggressively go for market share and force their competitors to play catch up a bit. interesting times

10. Andrea Cecchini

A troll on Italian FB forum claim the Movi motors are Alexmos modified and a DJI Ronin is the unique to have a proprietary software.
    I have a Movi M5 and just look the weight of both without going into details to judge what is best!
    what I should answer? :D

11. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Andrea your troll doesn't know what he is talking about.

Andrea Cecchini likes this.
  12. Andrea Cecchini

I know I know Gary!! ...is a troll for this!

13. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I just have a hard time understanding how a troll could ever have a misinformed opinion on things…

14. Andrea Cecchini

Yes Austin, I'm too!! I read every time something wrong about this.

15. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

If a user coming from DIY Alexmos gimbal, uses a Movi M5 & M10, he would regret those tuning times. After you just touch the system, you understand you have a unique product; from design to controller.

In another words, you don't need to answer :)

I think the reason why Freefly team keeping silence for M15 is the DJI Ronin. I also think that the Ronin's low price point worries Freefly and I believe they have a surprise for the users with M15.

Andrea Cecchini likes this.
  16. Alex Wolski

Alex Wolski New Member

Just wait till people start having issues with them, to me that's the true test; reliability. Also how a company handles those issues. No one in the US that can work on DJI equipment. I have had 10 zenmuse gimbals that where defective, one of which had to go to china, took over 3 months and when I got it back, it still did not work. I only had one ever that consistently worked. DJI has there distributers deal with issues and they can give a replacement, refund, or send it back to china which is a multi month ordeal. I use DJI flight controllers which have worked great and I think are a great product. But with productions having reliability and a company stands behind you is very very important

17. Matt Sharp

Matt Sharp Member

The performance is currently unknown since they aren't out in the wild yet. It'll be interesting to see how they perform when stacked against the movi though.

Their price point however would allow someone to have a main unit and 4 backup units on set for the price of an M10

18. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Phew, this thread looks like its gaining momentum!

Ozkan, I do agree they should be worried. Their price points have been all out of whack. BTW I think the Movi is far superior to anything out there and rent on a semi regular basis but that doesn't negate the dumb price point.
    There is no way any gimbal at this level should almost equal the cost of a Epic MX body.

I hope the surprise is nice price cut or something fantasic... 4th axis.:)

19. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

Looks nice, but the proof is in the footage?

20. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

From the tests we did and several other people i know the footage is very good, super smooth. I know they were demoing at Pinewood yesterday and again everyone was very impressed. It will also have a future upgrade to the arms very soon to take much heavier cameras (mainly as a hot head), possibly an Aimera we were told.
    I want the M15 to blow it out of the water, but not sure how it could, and if its more expensive, without laser cut case etc.
    Don't get me wrong i love my MoVI and its been amazing as have freefly, but from what i can see the Ronin is pretty amazing and only £2000 so it is making me re evaluate future investment. As I won't be prepared to pay inflated prices now, as its going to have an effect of hire rates at some stage. If your hoping that its produces poor footage like every other gimbal out there, it doesnt. l hope freely can take us to the next level and leave the competition behind at a good price.