/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mounting micro remote

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Wolfgang Armin, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Hi all,
    M10 (respectively MR) delivery is getting closer and I´m about to order a RR micro remote follow focus.

Any input or tips on what I´d need from the Redrock shop to easily mount it? I´ll go for the full set + the fingerwheel (there are two versions of the fingerwheel mounting - which one should I get?).

I remember I´ve seen a picture of someones M10 setup with the RR micro remote that I liked pretty much because there wasn´t a lot of additional stuff, but can´t find it anymore.

Thanks,
    Wolfgang

2. Leon Mun

Leon Mun New Member

I don't know if you've resoled your inquiry, but currently, I'm dealing with mounting the RR micro FF onto the m10, specifically, the finger wheel.

I have the finger wheel that mounts onto the RR micro handles .878'', and unfortunately, it won't fit on the m10 handles, being 25mm. I searched online and found that RR micro offers the 'universal' finger wheel with collins clamp and that's the way to go.

http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catal...sal-Fingerwheel-Controller-with-Collins-Clamp

3. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

If you already have the Fingerwheel, there is no need to re-purchase the Fingerwheel/Collins Clamp assembly. If you simply purchase the Collins Clamp by itself, all the hardware needed to attach the Fingerwheel to it is included.

4. Leon Mun

Leon Mun New Member

Does it require disassembling the Fingerwheel? I'm not seeing where it could be possible.

Thanks, Austin

5. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Leon,
    unfortunately my order hasn´t arrived yet (ordered on Oct. 25th and the items haven´t even shipped). I´ve ordered the Collins Clamp though. Can´t tell you much so far :-(

6. Austin Glass

The Collins Clamp has the "mini cheeseplate" which comes off with two allen screws. The Fingerwheel has its circular clamp that attaches to the handle. That circular clamp comes off with two allens in the same positioning as the cheeseplate. You pull the cheeseplate off the Collins Clamp, and the circular bracket off the Fingerwheel, then marry the two components. It was actually made to do that.

Here's a photo of my two Collins Clamps side-by-side. One has the Fingerwheel, and the other has the cheeseplate.
    2013-12-04 11.39.51.jpg

Kevin Descheemaeker likes this.
  7. Leon Mun

Leon Mun New Member

brilliant!

thanks for the answer austin - ordering the clamp right now!

8. Joe Tamel

Joe Tamel Member

Thanks so much Austin. I just ordered my second finger wheel w/Collins clamp and then saw your post in time to cancel the order. Just ordered the clamp instead. You saved me a nice chunk of $$$!

Austin Glass likes this.
  9. Leon Mun

Leon Mun New Member

there are two different versions of the finger wheel. one that has the shoulder mount handle ring that is detachable by unscrewing and the other having a shoulder mount handle ring that is one in the same with the finger wheel. the photo above with the collins clamp is with the finger wheel that has the detachable handle ring.

i've contacted red rock and they've offered to return my current version for one that is compatible with the collins.

this is all just an FYI.

10. Austin Glass

I'm sorry Leon, I had no idea there was a different kind. Without any verbiage differentiating the two, I'm not sure how we are supposed to know those sorts of things. I was just going off of what I had in front of me.

Leon Mun likes this.
  11. Leon Mun

Leon Mun New Member

No worries at all, Austin. This is good for people to be aware that there is an older model not compatible with the collins clamp. I'm purchasing a second finger wheel to have permanently attached to the MoVi.

12. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Hey Guys,

Regarding the fingerwheel, yes we did have an older version that was not able to adapt to a Collins Clamp. We haven't shipped that version for while though, so no one who receives a system today (or really in the past few months) should get the older version. But I'm glad support was able to take care of you Leon.

Back onto how to mount the microRemote to the M10, you've got a few options!

You can mount the microRemote either with your camera, or on your frame, and they each have their benefits.

If weight permits, I like mounting everything on the camera like shown below. Here I have the microRemote and and Paralinx Arrow being powered off a single on-camera lipo. Now I don't have any cables traveling from the camera to the frame.
    camera.jpg
    If you need to conserve weight on the sled though, then you can easily mount the basestation and battery on the frame like shown below using a Collins Clamp:
    Frame.jpg

13. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

I've actually got a question for everyone.

Where do you prefer to mount your Basestation, on the Frame or Camera? They both have their benefits and drawbacks, but I'd like to hear where shooters are landing?

14. Veve Borimov

Veve Borimov Member

Hi Loren,

Thanks for your replies and pics. It actually helped me even tho I didn't have any questions regarding that matter.

The way I assemble it on the C300 will be on the MoVI's tilt bars. I would tape the right vertical tilt bars with gaffa tape, then add a piece of gaffa tape on the back of the base station. Add double sided duck tape on that piece of gaffa on the basestation to then stick it on the gaffa tape on the right side of the tilt. It's very steady, easy to take out and to put back on. Not sure if it makes sense to you the way I've explained it but will try take a pic on monday when I'm next to my M10.
    I would never do it like the pic above. It adds cables running from the top to inside the MoVI which affects the balancing. Especially due to how thick the RR cables are.

15. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

In my experience, if everything is well balanced, and the cables are not tooo stiff, it doesn't affect the stabilization at all.
    I even used Arri UM-2 motors and those cables are really heavy...UMC-3 controller mounted on the top handlebar, without a problem..

Greetz,
    Wolf

16. Andrew Hewson

Andrew Hewson Member

Hey Loren,

Here is a thread regarding the question you had. Pretty interesting. And love to hear other peoples thoughts on on-camera vs bar mounted.

17. Chris Herr

Chris Herr Member

Hey look who it is! Got a little curly hair cameo in there.

18. Christopher Wadsworth

HI Austin ( and everyone). This post has helped me set up my 5d and RR but it's still pretty beta. Austin I'll be ordering your cables soon as I find it slower to balance when I'm not sure if it's my balancing or the cables that are the factor.

For the finger wheel, I had considered simply zip-tying it to save weight ( this has made me a gram freak) but it's not a great solution as the finger wheel sticks out to slot with with the Collins. Can I slide off the grip and put the RR ring under there? If I can lose the weight of the CC then that much better.

So that's a question for Freefly. How are the grips put on, adhesive or glue or hairspray? Any advice on getting them off them back on as snug as you have them?

19. Christopher Wadsworth

Loren if you have any other views of that top set-up and where you got the cables I'd very appreciate it. Thanks!

20. Adolfo Cantu-Villarreal

Not the sharpest of pictures from our producer, but I thought I'd share our setup!

We go for a top mount of the Basestation on the MoVI accessory mount + hyper thin cable for torque motor from Austin + finger wheel + split power to base station from one LiPo. Works really well for us.

ACV_4232.jpg

Austin Glass likes this.