/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tip on mounting the RRM MicroRemote fingerwheel

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Matthew Macomber, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Matthew Macomber

Matthew Macomber New Member

Thought I'd drop a tip on how I mount the Redrock Micro fingerwheel to my M5. If you simply pop off the plastic cap on the end of the carbon fiber cross tube, the jaw of the Collins clamp will fit perfectly inside the tube, positively clamping the fingerwheel in place. Very solid, very unobtrusive, and perfect alignment for your finger!

FYI, the fingerwheel can be flipped 180° relative to the Collins clamp, allowing it to be mounted on either side of the gimbal (depending on your preference). Two little screws and an allen wrench and you're done.

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg

Todd Mahoney and Austin Glass like this.
  2. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

Hmm, I hadn't realized the M5 handles don't have that same shoulder as the M10 handles… that's a good tip! It would be nice if there was a solid mounting solution that didn't require modifying a $5k piece of gear… o_O

By the way, do my eyes spy something familiar in those photos? ;)

3. Matthew Macomber

Matthew Macomber New Member

Yes sir, your "gimbal-friendly" cable is in there and working perfectly! Thanks again Austin.

Fortunately, removing the end cap is a simple ordeal. It's not glued in or anything that makes it difficult to get out. It could easily be reinstalled at any time. It is slightly annoying that the M5 does not have the shouldered handles of the M10. But it's really only of concern for us RRM fingerwheel-toting guys. I had emailed Freefly support to see about purchasing a pair of M10 handles. They were actually willing to sell them to me for $222 + shipping. I played around with the Collins clamp on the M5 handles some more and discovered this neat little trick. It's a surprisingly solid mount, and I didn't crank down very hard on the clamp. I'm going to live with it for a while and see if it's a viable long term solution.

4. William Bartlett

William Bartlett New Member

Thanks for that info -

I have a few questions if you don't mind:

If you get a chance, could you provide some photos as to where you're connecting the base station of the micro remote and how you're providing power to it? Are you using another freefly battery? How long does is last when powering the micro remote? Are you using something to check if the batteries are operating fine? If so, which one? Also, how are you connecting the micro remote motor? Are you using the Rod mount from freefly?

I'm using the M5 with a GH4 and the Lumix 12-35 lens.
    I noticed in your other post you mentioned having issues using the rod mount. Did you end up just counterbalancing the weight? Do you need a spacer to raise the GH4?

Thanks!

5. Christopher Wadsworth

Hi William

I've been following Matthew an Austin's lead on this for my Mark III. I mount the base station on an a freefly acc mount and have the antenna face backwards as I like how it keeps the cables away from the lens ( and less distance for the power cable to travel). I may have to point it up when I start using the remote vs the fingerwheel I mostly use now. There is another discussion that shows how to use a splitter to power the FF ( and a link to buy it) and the M5 from a single battery. I then bought these to reach the freefly 2 pin lemo cable. I use freefly's rod mount as it is super light, RR seems like bricks by comparison.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/JST-Connecto..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c4216d2ef&_uhb=1

I wasn't happy with how the collin's clamp worked clamped onto my grip handle for the fingerwheel. Last night I had a friend with a milling machine widen the ring out to just under 1". It was still a tight fit to get it over the bottom lip to the handle, so we used a rubber mallet to ease it over. It then slid easily up the handle and I used the screw to tighten it into place. My guess is this wouldn't be too expensive to do ( less than a collins anyway) and I like the extra weight savings. I found getting a bit of water under the grip helps them slide of but, keep adding as you go. Note I had taken the handle off the movi ; ). Then to put it back on, get the handle and the grip damp. Once the water drys it should be in place without slipping. The top of the grip folds under the fingerwheel so I don't trim the top of the rubber grip.

Also Austin's cables make it much easier to balance. With RR's it is harder to tell if you're off balance or if it's cable feedback. With the slackline it is almost as if there isn't a cable there.

Austin Glass likes this.
  6. William Bartlett

William Bartlett New Member

Thank you for the information Christopher!

Christopher Wadsworth likes this.