/dist/images/branding/favicon

Custom MōVI M5 Case - Design it yourself online!

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Mike Duval, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Mike Duval

Mike Duval Member

So, this has been a long time in the making, but we finally took delivery of our custom MōVI M5 case that we designed with www.MyCaseBuilder.com. Jason (of Jasoncases.com) has certainly made a fantastic case with his design but we were looking for something a little bit more flexible because of the items we include. For the M5 we settled on a Pelican 1630, but there are quite a few cases that will work size wise depending on your layout.

Having worked with the team at MyCaseBuilder on other projects, we packed up all of our MōVI M5 bits and shipped them down to New Jersey. The team there went through the painstaking task of profiling each item's 3D shape and then adding them to their online shape library. We've been sending items to them to profile for almost a year now and they've got a huge selection of Canon/Nikon cameras, lenses and accessories.

Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 3.40.04 PM.png
    Once you select your case, the online case configuration builder will allow you to bring in the custom shapes and you can lay them out to your hearts content. We were able to layout a case that works not only for our customers but also our production team, making it easier to scan all of the items out. Want to add a custom cavity for a lens, just pull up the shape profile and drop it in or make your own using the Photo tracer option where you can upload an image, specify its size, and make a custom shape. I was honestly blown away by the system when I found it being the case nerd that I am.

Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 3.39.05 PM.png
    You can even see a 3D rendering of what the case will look like in the viewer. This is a design we just did for the Hocus Products Axis 1. This feature can be a bit buggy when you get to a complex design like the M5 case as it takes forever to render but for simple stuff its a nice sanity check that your case will actually work.

Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 4.18.39 PM.png

Here's the finished layout. Everything fits nice and tight. We wanted to leave plenty of material space between the items to maintain the wall integrity. We couldn't be happier. Anyways, hopefully this is helpful to someone out there who's as particular as I am about the way things are packed.

Freefly M5 Case.jpg

MoVI Case detail.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to help. Thanks!

Mike
    LensProToGo.com

2. aziz khan

aziz khan New Member

Hi Mike, thanks so much for posting. Is it possible to have a dual layer design?

I was thinking of a lower layer for a folded M5 with handle attached. and a layer on top for batts etc. Likewise, the stand can go at lower level, with space above for other essentials

3. Mike Duval

Mike Duval Member

Absolutely! Thats totally something they've done for us. I think you could do it in the designer if you could mentally wrap your head around it knowing they are cutting vertically through the foam with a waterjet and then layering the pieces like a cake. Feel free to reach out to them as I'm sure they can help you design a removable tray system.

One of the really helpful things I've used while laying out my own designs is a good digital caliper. http://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-500-..._5?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1405446362&sr=1-5

Hope that helps!

Mike