/dist/images/branding/favicon

Gabriel's Journey to Yosemite

Discussion in 'MōVI Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Chris McKechnie, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Chris McKechnie

I had another opportunity to be a part of another Make-A-Wish wish granting ceremony.

9-year old Gabriel had a wish to be a park ranger. When Yosemite got word of his dream, they stepped up to the plate, in a VERY big way. Watch it first, then look at the shoot details below.

Password: GABRIELYOSEMITE

Shoot Details:
    My AC and I went up to Yosemite 1 day before Gabriel's wish to get establishing B-roll and to try and capture the magnificence that is Yosemite. That same day we also shot an interview with the Mom and Gabriel. The wish day was a long one, starting early in the morning and ending early evening. Gabriel was a trooper.

I had a second camera operator (Will Rodgers) and sound guy (Jared Elkin) on the wish day, to help with alternate angles since it was run-n-gun the entire day. Plus, I HATE doing audio! My sound guy had a new bluetooth wireless receiver thing that he wanted to try out on the MoVI since it weighs like nothing. It worked, like 10% of the time, so since I had NO other audio reference on my Epic, I had to manually sync everything in post! AHHHHH!!!

Unfortunately there was a news crew from CBS who got priority access, got to ride in the vehicles with Gabriel, was always on scene first, etc. So we had to stay farther back and get what we could in terms of coverage.

I was operating on the MoVI the entire day and stuck with a focal length of 50mm Zeiss Contax 2.8, since there wasn't really any time to do any lens swapping. Will operated with the 80-200 f4 Contax. He had RPP's, but I wanted the look to be consistent, plus, the Contax are amazing!!! I had him on a monopod the entire day so the longer shots would be more stable, as opposed to hand-holding or shoulder-mounting.

We all rode in my truck, so as soon as we would role up on a scene, Will would bail out of the car as quickly as he could to get some establishing shots/sometimes they had already started the next mini event. I would immediately follow with the MoVI. My AC was pulling focus, while I was operating in Majestic Mode. Used my Cinemizers for framing, and Jason, my AC had a SmallHD AC7.

I had my second camera guy shoot at around f5.6, while I shot between 2.8-4.
    We over cranked here and there for effect.
    Shot 5K WS at 8:1 compression.
    Edited and graded in FCPX.

Let me know what you guys think. We can't officially release this video until CBS has their special on Make-A-Wish which will air in August.

Ozkan Erden likes this.
  2. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Loved it Chris! Very cool foundation to be a part of!

3. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

Awesome Chris, very cool!

4. Chris McKechnie

Thanks Drew! MAW Wish experiences are the best. I'm just happy we were able to capture it.

5. Chris McKechnie

Thanks Tristan.