/dist/images/branding/favicon

"Alice" a MoVi Short Film

Discussion in 'MōVI Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Ryan Hamelin, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Ryan Hamelin

Ryan Hamelin Member

Hey guys,

Wanted to share the new short film we recently finished. Haven't had a lot of time to use the rig for personal projects because we've been so busy, but thought this might be a little something you'd enjoy. All shot on our M10 with my 5D Mark III Magic Lantern.

Also included a short BTS featurette for those curious about the production.

Hope you enjoy it!

-Ryan

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

As a production question, the dancers don't have music running during the shoot?

Andy.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Inspiring work, man. Really lovely! Thanks for sharing it, and for taking the time to do a really awesome BTS!

Ryan Hamelin likes this.
  4. Ryan Hamelin

Ryan Hamelin Member

Thanks Steve! Much appreciated.

Andy: For most of the shoot we were able to have playback for the dancers during the takes. On the Highline, particularly during the group dance sequence, the park rangers were worried that we'd disturb people, so the music is much quieter and was coming from a considerable ways away from camera.

As long as our lead could hear the track, everybody else pretty much matched her speed.

5. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Hi Ryan, Nice stuff. Wondering if you care to give up some secrets on your skills of no up and down movement showing your steps? Very smooth footage. Some of the best I have seen on a Movi. Jim

6. Ryan Hamelin

Ryan Hamelin Member

Hey Jim,

Thanks so much for the compliment! I'm also glad you enjoyed the video, we've been very happy with the response so far.

When we first got the rig, we brought it to a friend of ours, the great Phil Martinez (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0553660) who is one of the best working steadicam operators I know. He gave us some invaluable advice about the best ways of moving your body to enhance the smoothness of the shot, and since we work primarily in a dual operator setup, I have the freedom to walk with the rig in almost any orientation as long as my hands don't cross in front of the lens.

Most of it has to do with the well worn "steadicam walk" that you always hear about being described in the forums. Rolling the weight on your foot from your heel to the ball and then lifting up the foot keeps your weight from landing with significant impact when you step, smoothing out the classic footstep bumps you see in a lot of clips starting out. We've also found that building up a bit of momentum often goes a long way towards the smoothest takes, so the fast movements in the footage here benefit from that.

The other component that has helped me a lot is doing pull ups and other upper body exercises. I hadn't done pullups since my high school days playing tennis before we got the rig, but now I try to spend any days off we have exercising. Our first few jobs with a RED Epic definitely hurt a lot more than our recent work, and because I'm able to keep my arms more relaxed while walking than I used to, I can counteract a lot of the vertical bounce with my forearms much like a steadicam arm.

Hope the notes were some help, and not just a "heard it all before" rehashing.

Best of luck!

Steve Maller likes this.
  7. Arturo Bernardi

Hi Ryan
    What is that distro box with red digits on the top handle of the rig? Would be great if you could post some pics of your rig that look really clean. Thanks very much
    cheers
    Arturo