/dist/images/branding/favicon

Lipo battery rental advice

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Jim Robertson, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Jim Robertson

Jim Robertson Member

I rented the movi out the last couple weeks and had new batteries with it and when it was returned 2 batteries don't charge, leading me to believe they drained them, when specifically they were taught how to keep a check on them. My question is how would you all handle that with the customer? they said they didn't drain them. how do you handle that pre and post rental? Thanks in advance.

2. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Test them upon return.. Pretty easy cc just check each cell.

3. Jim Robertson

Jim Robertson Member

justin i get that, I'm talking about how to deal with the client. When something is missing or broken thats easy to deal with, but a battery that doesn't charge and you know its because they drained it too much, how would you deal with that. lipos are different in the rental world than other batteries.

4. Justin Marx

I think at this point it's too late.. If when they handed it to you you tested it and it didn't work then you could charge them..basically when I rent out my lenses , or anything, I have the client check it in front of me before I rent it, then the same when they return..

If this happened right when they returned it, the you should charge them. These batteries only die if they are mishandled, so that should be on something they sign when you rent it..

5. Jim Robertson

Jim Robertson Member

not only did it happen when they returned it, they called and said the battery isn't charging while they were using it. it's hard convincing clients they ruined the battery. again, i know its a gray area, i just like to know how you would handle it.

6. Justin Marx

Hmmm, that's a tough one.. I'd say if its a good client then you gotta eat it.. Just make sure the next time they understand if a battery leaves working it must come back working or its user error..

Jim Robertson likes this.
  7. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

This is one reason why I will only ever rent out to someone that I can confirm has the experience, otherwise, they have to hire me out with it. Alternatively, give them a stern warning on over-discharging LiPos, and say if they are dead upon return, they have to pay for it. One option is to require a $50 refundable deposit for each LiPo that goes out. Plug it in to a tester when it goes out to confirm it's working, and again when it comes back in. Let the client see the tester in both scenarios and explain what's going on. You should even be giving them a tester or two as part of the kit.

Also, use a label maker and mark on each battery that they should not be discharged below 14.5v total voltage.

I know it's strict, but we are talking about something that WILL be destroyed if it's not taken care of.

Jim Robertson likes this.