/dist/images/branding/favicon

Battery charging and safety,timer

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by David Cooper, Jun 23, 2014.

1. David Cooper

David Cooper Member

Being new to LiPo batteries, wondering if there is a simple timer use to plug in the charger and have it turn off in an hour. I have already left it for half a day charging and have heard you really need to be careful with these batteries if unattended.

2. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

That's a great idea David. If the hazards of charging these batteries is true, then why isn't there a charger with a timer built into it?

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Which charger? If it is the FF charger it will ramp down with a full charge. A household lamp timer would work if you want it to completely disconnect.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The Hyperion Superduo chargers have the option to set a maximum charge time -- I think the default is two hours.

Andy.

5. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Most other Lipo-chargers have sound alarm, I cant understand why Tabb choose to use one without it?
    Love the M5 but not the charger ;-/

6. Mike Duval

Mike Duval Member

Here is a good video about LiPo charging and safety. The sand trick is particularly impressive for squelching LiPo fires.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

WARNING: If you use an Ammo box for LiPo storage and it's airtight (as many of them are), and you have a LiPo fire, you now have a LiPo *bomb* -- the gasses given off by the burning LiPo cannot escape an Ammo box unless you drill a pressure relief hole. It will explode.

I drill a 3/8" hole in the lid and put PVC electrician's tape on the inside and the outside of the hole so it does not present any edges. In case of a LiPo fire, the tape will just blow out and relieve the pressure.

Why would a LiPo just lying innocently in an Ammo case ignite? Oh....perhaps if you drop the Ammo case on to concrete.....

Andy.

8. Martin Lebel

Martin Lebel New Member

If I have a M15 and travelling with 10 lipo bat. how i could drop down the lipo bat. to the recommended 3.8 volt for travel. and how I could prevent to go under 3 volts on the rig when we are shooting.

9. Martin Lebel

Martin Lebel New Member

Just to make shure with the freefly charger we don't need a timer to stop the charging because the freefly charger have a auto turn off when the battery is full.

10. Martin Lebel

Martin Lebel New Member

or i should buy a timer to be more safe