/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi M5 Vs Defy the Gymbal - G5

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Jeff Modjeska, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Jeff Modjeska

Jeff Modjeska New Member

I want to buy motorized motion stabilizer either the Movi M5 or the Defy G5. I would very much appreciate any feed back you experienced operators can provide. Which one would you recommend buying and why?

Thank you in advance! if any of you would be open to talking to me about your opinions my number is 608-576-3764
    Jeff

2. David Cooper

David Cooper Member

The price of the G5, including a case is a lot less which is great if $ is important. But I think the M5 cage is a better design. 1/2 the features in the M5 are software based so it's hard to say anything about the G5 since I have only used the M5 and the software is VERY powerful to control a ton of features on the Movi.

3. Jeff Modjeska

Jeff Modjeska New Member

Thanks David, How has support been for the Movi5? Were you able to easily balance your camera on the Movi 5?

4. David Cooper

David Cooper Member

It just takes patience to balance any camera. I've used the 5DmIII with a 28mm and a Canon C100. All fine but the bigger taller cameras can't use the cross bar. It takes time to use the software to tune the Movi for every camera and every lens change.
    Tunning is about adjusting the motor settings as high as possible before they vibrate. You can check the M5 tutorial on line to see how it's balanced and tuned.

5. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

If you compare Movi versus other DIY brushless gimbals in terms of price, it's a big mistake. Defy is based on Alexmos AFAIK, so the technology behind Movi is many steps higher. Defy is no different than a DIY brushless gimbal.

You can get good footage with Alexmos based solutions on very limited situations. Movi always works as expected; so it's dependable, reliable. As per my experience, the other solutions are not that reliable yet.

6. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

Yes, Defy is AlexM based, however, they have phenomenal tech support that will Skype with you if you aren't getting it dialed in the way you want. In terms of build quality, Defy is very good as well and they've paid attention to a lot of details in their build and design. I would definitely not classify this as DIY!!

7. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Sorry for the late repy on this topic.

I'm sure the guys behind the Defy gimbals are great and I'm also sure that they provide awesome support. But the problem is not with the support or with the gimbal itself. It's the tech powering these gimbals.

I don't know if you used Movi or not but; what I can say is the difference is day and night. I'm using Alexmos based gimbals since they released it for the first time and I'm also a Movi user.

Let me give you a simple example: If you shake the gimbal very wildly, Alexmos based gimbals will not be able to handle it; but Movi will.

With one IMU setup, Alexmos based systems had always problems with extreme angles. It has been very hard for me to fast forward fly without a glitch on Alexmos based gimbals.

Alexmos based gimbals performance depends on how you tune it. How many nights do you wanna spend for tuning it? How many times do you want the gimbal let you down on the job with unexpected errors? How many times do you want to do the calibration? I can't remember the hours I spent for these Alexmos based gimbals. If you setup the hardware rigid enough and very well aligned, the performance will be depending on the brain behind.

Alexmos based systems offer a cheap alternative at a hobby grade; you can get very well results on controlled environment. I also did great shootings with them. But at the end, Movi will give much much better performance, user experience and much more comfortable working conditions with predictable&dependable results every time.

At the end, Defy's performance is also depended on Alexmos itself. That's why I call it DIY.

8. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Yup, well said, Ozkan!
    A friend just got the Defy and i'm trying to do a shootout with him and the M5.

9. Christopher Wadsworth

I bought a G5 and returned it as I didn't feel my unit was well enough built, the u-plate that holds the camera was not properly fit and this caused binding. I waited 3 mo for the unit and the M5 was released around the time the G5 was delivered. There are 3 more planes of adjustments on the g5 than the M5. On the plus side of that it means you can fit a longer camera on the G5. On the down side that is 3 more adjustments to asses when balancing. I had the g5 for about 4-5 days and spent about 7-8 hours with it.

I bought this through Vistek in Canada, and they distribute both. I might have hesitated to buy the M5 straight out but as I was already close I decided to invest more an get the M5. IMO there is little comparison and the premium is more than worth it. I feel the Movi is version 2, it is better thought out, much lighter than the specs suggest, better built, and much more adjustable through the software. The quality level of the G5 was good the Movi's is simply excellent, it is built with a bike racer weight junkies wet dream. The clips work very well and small adjustments are easy to make, where with the G5 I'd have to push too hard and slide past. The main bar on the Movi which drops from the handle bars is slotted and takes out the worry that you've rolled the arm from 6 o'clock to 5 or 7. One less thing to worry about when balancing. Also the M5 has grooves on the bar attachment points so that your figures can grip it to better adjust it.

IMO if you're considering spending as much as that on the G5 save a bit more and get the Movi, it is more than worth the price difference.

10. Frank Manno

Frank Manno New Member

So is this official info that the Movi system does not use the Alexmos (or clone) board or associated software? I was somehow under the impression that the Alexmos board was the only way to do this and that Freefly are using their own software / GUI to do the tuning.

Ozkan, in regards to shaking it.. Isn't this just a case of how much power is going to the motors via software? With ALexmos you can just dial the power up and it won't move if you shake it vigorously..

Also, none of these systems correct for vertical and horizontal movement.. So you can't realy compare the Defy G5 v the Movi M5 via videos because a lot of it depends on the user.. Also, you can see 'footsteps' with all 3 Axis DSLR gimbals.. Gimbals can't eliminate footsteps.

11. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

That is wrong. The Freefly hardware and software is proprietary and completely custom. It has nothing to do with Alexmos.

Actually, the shaking of a brushless gimbal is generally a result of too much power, not too little.

12. Frank Manno

Frank Manno New Member

Right ok. Thanks for clarifying regarding the hardware and software being proprietary. At least this justifies the price. of the Movi.. If this is correct then it makes all the other gimbals within similar price ranges as the Movi and which use the alexmos system a complete ripoff then. Because (unlike the movi) they are just using hobby level hardware and software and charging $4000 for support and some tuning.

In regards to shaking, Ozkan said that if he shakes an Alexmos gimbal vigorously that the camera will not stay stable.. I basically said that the power of the motors are too low which is why it's not holding the camera in place.

13. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

14. Frank Manno

Frank Manno New Member

15. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Had a Defy for 8 weeks, no end of problems, hard to balance, jittered while shooting making video unusable, sent back and am now a very happy Movi M5 owner. No question in my mind which to purchase.

16. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

After having an alexmos gimbal for my red and a friend who has one for a 5d, he also has a defy for his red the movi is far superior. I just recently purchased a new m5 and ran auto tune and the aerial and ground performance is so much better and more reliable. I love It and definitely recommend it although it is a little more money it is definitely worth it!!

Michael McVay likes this.