/dist/images/branding/favicon

FAA releases "Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft"

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Gary Haynes, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

Seems like this FAA statement is about "cloud surfing" as Steve suggests. For the record, I agree with the FAA on this one. Pilot must have visual sight and control at all times. FPV should be used to augment safety and frame shots, not fly as far as you can.
    I'm surprised the AMA disagrees with the FAA statement since AMA document 550 regarding FPV suggests, FPV pilot and or spotter must maintain 'visual line of sight' throughout the flight.

So the question is, how far can you see your Hexa or Octo and still maintain control? Stated differently, how far away do you want to be when your FPV signal craps out?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The more persuasive AMA argument (at least to me) is that the FAA is barred from promulgating regulations for model aircraft -- but here they are interpreting the regulations *for* model aircraft.

And that, as we all know, depends on:
    1. The size of the copter.
    2. The color markings/LEDs on the copter.
    3. The weather (cloudy or bright sun?).
    4. The height and background clutter (copter against sky or buildings or dark trees?)
    5. The pilot's visual acuity.

And then, of course, there is the argument of: If I lose FPV, rather than experience loss of aircraft orientation, if I climb the copter until I can see the dot against the sky and then use Come Home (DJI: "Go Home." ;) am I still "in control" within the FAA's interpretation?

Andy.