/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 with BMPC 4k... what lenses are you using??

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Mike Percelli, May 8, 2014.

1. Mike Percelli

Mike Percelli New Member

Just wondering what lenses everyone is using with their M5 and the Black Magic Production Camera?

2. Joe Lawry

Joe Lawry Member

Trying to do the same thing. It seems the Sigma 18-35 is the only lens that will balance correctly.. This is annoying.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

That’s strange. What prevents you from balancing with other lenses?

4. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I had no real luck balancing with the Blackmagic 4k. Seemed like a lot of extra weight was necessary on the camera left side to balance the roll, especially considering it puts the SDI output right on the tilt rails. I'm sure it's possible to do, but to me it wasn't worth the finagling.

5. Mike Percelli

Mike Percelli New Member

We have tried numerous lenses... It's difficult. The shape of the camera has a lot to so with the balancing problems. If you look on Vimeo , they have a c100 with a 24mm L lens on it perfectly balance. Every time we email freefly support we get an answer that lens length is just as important as weight. Total weight is a total factor as well.. Let's compare the bmpcc and the c100

Bmpcc- 3.75lbs
    C100- 4lbs

Now let's look at the lenses
    We have been trying the rokinon 14mm 3.1 cine

Rokinon- 1.4lbs
    Canon- 1.6 lbs

So I want to know how the hell did they get the c100 to balance perfectly and we can't get our setup to.. The c100 is much heavier.
    We have spent numerous hours trying and can't get it.. We know the bmpcc does work with the m5 as freefly has not only stated it but has shown it in action with a few videos. Any other cameras we try we can get to balance immediately with perfect results. So it's not lack of knowledge knowing how to balance a camera properly.... FRUSTRATING !!!'

Juan Diego Zacarias likes this.
  6. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Mike,
    What's the issue you are facing, I've happily balanced the BM4K on the M10 and M5... What are the symptoms that you are facing and have you got some pictures??

We run the samyang lens and have balanced the lens to be all the same weight to make lens changes easier.

7. Mike Percelli

Mike Percelli New Member

Chris,

No matter what we do... We can't get vertical tilt correct. Please help!!!!

8. Mike Percelli

Mike Percelli New Member

And what Samyang lenses are you having luck with ? Like instated we are trying the rokinon 14mm 3.1 cine

9. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

happily balancing the 16,24,35 and 85 ... haven't tried the 14

What are you doing to test for the vertical tilt balance, are you pointing the lens up (or down) and sliding the rails forward or back to get the tilt balance? like in the videos?

10. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

Any way I could see some pictures of the M5 with the BMCC on it. We have a possible rental and I don't have any units in house to test. Would be much appreciated. Thanks

11. Kurt Myers

Kurt Myers New Member

I have managed to mount the BMCC with a zeiss 50mm 1.4 and a tokina 11-16. It's not ideal at all. The camera is too wide, and the weight is not centered, so you have to add a counterweight as you cannot slide the camera left or right. Has anyone had any monitoring solutions for it? There doesn't seem to be enough space for a bnc. Also, with the camera and 11-16, you're already at 5.5lbs. That's without any counterweight. It does balance, but I don't want to go throwing on much more weight.

12. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

Never had an issue with the BM 4k , Canon 10-22 and 10-18 rock on it.

13. Joe Lawry

Joe Lawry Member

I got there eventually, added a 2s lipo right on top of the horizontal arm that the tilt motor is mounted too. Balanced everything out.

Flying with a canon 16-35 and its great, better than the m10 i reckon!

14. Dan Proud

Dan Proud New Member

How are you guys getting the SDI cable plugged in to the camera? I'm able to balance all good but the SDI ends up right next to the rails, no room for a cable. I guess using the external monitor is not an option! Any ideas?

15. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

You need more weight on the front of the camera to slide it back further so the SDI cable can connect. Different lens or adding a FFS will all do it .... Or some of Andy's magical self adhesive led tape works as well.

16. Dan Proud

Dan Proud New Member

Thanks for the ideas Chris! I found some parts from an old panoramic tripod head that bolted right on. Balances easy now with access to the SDI port. Sweet!

photo.JPG

17. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

glad to see you have some success ;)

18. Ryan McMaster

Here is how I mount my BM 4k+Canon 10-22, Canon 24mm f/2.8 and 35mm f/2 (both the IS models). We use a Teradek bolt mounted to the back of the camera via custom mounting plate (3rd pic). We use 4" and 6" carbon rods in place of the stock rods. This gives us full access to the SDI out, and power (4s lipo runs the cam, downlink). So far this thing has been rock solid. The non test bolt will be here tomorrow or Thursday, ill post a follow up then.
    untitled-2-1.jpg untitled-3-2.jpg untitled-5-3.jpg

19. Ryan McMaster

Bolt, 4k, M5. Tested today and holy crap its so much better then the old method. bolt4k.jpg

Korey Clark likes this.
  20. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Ryan,thanks for that great tip! I also balanced M5 with BlackMagic 4K + Zeiss Distagon 18mm lens without any issues. SDI out is fully accessible.