/dist/images/branding/favicon

Advice on gimbal choosing

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Christina Yang, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Christina Yang

Christina Yang New Member

Hi guys,
    I want your advice.
    I am a semi-professional cinematographer. I have been working with some wedding videos and small commercial.
    I am in need of a handle gimbal to carry Red Epic and 5D mark III.

Movi M10 will be nice choice but the price is a bit high...I have read something about DJI Ronin. Do you know more of that? What will you recommend?

Thank you!

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

As you probably know, Christina, this is the Freefly forum, and Freefly make the MōVI, so you might get better results for your inquiry elsewhere. There are many MōVI users here who can help you understand why a MōVI is a good investment. But there are definitely other options out there.

Christina Yang likes this.
  3. Christina Yang

Thank you for your quick answer Steve!
    I would like to know more why MōVI is a good investment. Actually I can afford enough for that, just heard of Ronin and the price is really an advantage... thus I want to do more research and listen to more experienced people.

4. Steve Maller

I own a MōVI M5, and I chose it after spending a lot of time with other options. The main reason I bought mine was the ease of switching between different cameras. Some other gimbals only let you use one specific camera (like the Zenmuse). Others have very complicated balancing and tuning procedures. On my MōVI, I can switch between the GH4 and 5D Mark III in a matter of minutes, including doing all the necessary configuration adjustments in the software. With the gimbal I built, it would take me an hour or more. I also use mine on my octocopter, and it is very stable and smooth in the air, too.

5. Christina Yang

Thx Steve!
    Yes, I think Movi 10 will be even better than M5 in that case. But what I am considering here is that I have read about Ronin and it seems Ronin also has the flexibility of carrying different types of cameras. I would like to know the advantage of M10 over Ronin so I am willing to pay such big difference money on M10. But since Ronin is not in market anywhere, and I don't know when I can have a touch of it, it is a stuck here... Do you think it worth waiting at the moment?

btw, your profile pic is awesome!:)

6. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Hi Christina, the biggest advantages of the MoVI M5 or M10 over the Ronin are:
    1 - Its proven itself on the biggest and smallest sets in the world
    2 - it's less bulky then the Ronin
    3 - its lighter then the Ronin
    4 - it's made by professionals that work with industry professionals to make a product that works consistently. The Ronin and all other gimbals are unproven knockoffs.. I'd hate for you to be filming a wedding and just to save a few bucks buy something that craps out in the middle of a ceremony.
    5 - its adaptable. You don't need expensive heavy batteries to power the unit.
    6 - its available now :)

Anyway, the old saying "penny wise pound foolish" comes into play in my business all of the time.. I'll always choose to spend more money on something that is high quality and consistent that will make my job easier, make my footage look better, and make my clients happy. In the long run you will work more because your good rather then save money and possibly fail. I always like to start my day with confidence in my equipment.

So you gotta ask yourself what's most important, consistency, or saving short term money..

Good luck in your decision.. If you have any questions at all about MoVI stuff I'm more then happy to help..

-- Justin

7. Steve Maller

DJI are notorious for taking a long time for new tech. Witness the Lightbridge. So it could be a while. And it’s pretty ironic that DJI have announced a gimbal that none of their copters is able to fly.

In all fairness, the MōVI was preannounced, too. And Freefly have yet to deliver the Synapse, which was announced a long, long time ago.
    My son is a great photographer...thank you!

8. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

Hi Christina,

I'd take a look at the Gremys H14 too. I don't own one but i've seen one in action (handheld) and it was pretty amazing! Lots of power in every attitude you hold it... And it's quite "easy" to change between different lenses/cameras too...

9. Christina Yang

Hi Justin. Thank you so much for such detailed and helpful answer. Have you touched Ronin already? How do you feel about it?
    What MoVi gimbals do you have?

10. Christina Yang

Yes, I have been waiting for Ronin actually for a long time... I think they are going to release it in couple weeks? I hope....
    But now MoVi comes up in my mind. It is a hard choice for me. Because according to the figures Ronin has released, it looks really good!

11. Christina Yang

Hi Urs. do you mind dropping a link of Gremys H14?

12. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

13. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Christina, I played with the Ronin at NAB and found it to be very heavy and bulky..

14. Christina Yang

I want to touch it too. to have a direct review.
    What movi do you have? Did you find any inconvenience with it?

15. Christina Yang

A new question....
    How do you guys know about M10??
    I was recommended by a friend...but was thinking if I do not have any professional friends, I wouldn't be able to know about it.
    If I google "handheld gimbal", dji comes first.
    Just curious...

16. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

Hi Christina:

I find strange that you keep talking about DJI and Ronin....People told you this is Movi forum. I think you should try and find the information somewhere else. Every gimbal has its pros and cons. I have at least 6 gimbal and all have areas where they excel. I fyou have the money get the Movi. Even the 5 will take a RED. Not advised if you work with it every day. I have the M10 and will receive this month a Ronin. If it works I will make money with it. If not I will jut sell it for half price and that´s done.
    If in the other hand you are trolling then I don´t think you´ll be very successful here.
    Hope you solve your problem ;-)

P.S.- My 10 works flawlessly. Only problem are the little pirates trying to sell their M5´s over our M10´s at 1/3 of the price.