/dist/images/branding/favicon

Remote record for Red cameras?

Discussion in 'Camera Operating' started by Dave King, May 3, 2014.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Has anyone that has flown with a Red hooked up a remote to manually start or stop recording?

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

We've used the Redmote a couple of times for this. Was nervous because I did not know which communication protocol they use. No issues to report.

3. Dave King

4. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

I use the Redmote as well. Haven't had any issues.
    You wont get crazy range but it should get you 100-200 feet, depending on your surroundings. Maybe more maybe less.

5. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

6. Dave King

Thanks Guys. Good find Adam. I really like the idea of redmote to change aperture and white balance on the fly without having to bring out the touch screen. But I like the idea of having a record switch on the radio as well and its a lot cheaper. Hmmm.....Decisons.....

7. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

Dave the answer is simple, BOTH :D

8. Dave King

I have come to the conclusion that you need both. I'm seeing a range of about 50-75 feet for the REDMOTE so I ordered the GentLED to connect the record function up via a switch on the radio.

9. Jon Firestone

Jon Firestone New Member

I was using my Redmote on my Epic, but since it occasionally disconnects at inopportune times I decided to use the run stop cable for Red epic or scarlet off my Redrock Micro micro remote . They cost $95 and plug into the accessory port on the Redrock wireless receiver. You plug it into the white connector on the red sync cable. Then you set up you camera gpio to general purpose in and set the gpi in high to record toggle and the brain gpi in low to key disabled. The Microremote has a button next to the direction button on the bottom of the remote that says, camera. That's the record start stop button. It's worked great for me so far, though I wish there was a simpler and shorter cable than having to use the red sync cable and the run stop cable from redrock.

Jon

10. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

I use a mini servo with a small arm on it and connect it to my receiver. Map it to a simple toggle switch that springs back to its original location and you're good. On some cameras I will put a small piece of plexi onto the camera to give it a flat mounting surface, others dont need it.