/dist/images/branding/favicon

What is the Lightest Camera+Highest Quality Video

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by David Gamble, Mar 17, 2014.

1. David Gamble

David Gamble Member

Hi everyone, with the Technology race going full tilt, it seems that I should look at something other than my 5d to fly with at this point. Is there anything that is much lighter and gives the same or better quality in video? I am not concerned with stills. The second point here is can I use my canon lenses on anything or is there a combo that basically uses a single lens to do most such as the Lumix wide angle zoom or similar?

Thanks for any answers and comments!

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

You probably want to look at the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. But GH4 may be the ticket when it ships in another month or so. Neither will natively use EF lenses, though.

3. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

On that note...Panasonic rep told me 1899 Canadian for the GH4.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I should also mention that folks are getting amazing results with Magic Lantern for the 5D Mark III. It's a royal pain in the ass to use, but what I've seen from the guys who are doing it is totally a cut above, and rivals even the RED cameras. Of course, it requires a lot of workflow voodoo and some serious post-production skills, but it deserves consideration.

Bo Tornvig likes this.
  5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

We were unable to use Magic Lantern with any CF card (including the $600 ones) at frame rates above 25. It's just too much data for the camera's processors to shovel out to the CF card.

And yes, the workflow is "interesting." Almost as bad as AVCHD with different video files all named 00001.MTS. Sigh.

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  6. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

Bloody 00001.MTS...
    I loathe .MTS

7. Kurt Myers

Kurt Myers New Member

Has anyone used anything similar to the SI2k or any other sensor only cameras that need to be tethered to a recording device? I'd really like to find something similar to the One Cam that they used on Under the Skin.

Linky http://www.one-cam.com/

8. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

Black Magic pocket/4k. Had great luck with both so far=)

9. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

* Black Magic Pocket Camera
    * GH4
    And for GH4, I'll plug Atomos Ninja Star it's released. It records 10-bit 4:2:2 full hd footage and only 130 grams.

I'm getting better results with GH4 than 5D Mark III. 5D Mark III RAW capabilities are also very beautiful if you have the camera in your hand.

GH4 setup is almost 500 grams lighter. (Comparing 5D Mark III + EF 24mm and GH4 + Olympus Zuiko f/2.0 12mm)

The upper level of these cameras are definetely starting from Black Magic Cinema Camera (4K). And they are nowehere less than 5 lbs with a good lens.

rubenvanleer likes this.