/dist/images/branding/favicon

Majestic Pan Window Behaves Different After Firmware Update?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Eric De Fino, May 26, 2014.

1. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Tried searching the forums but did not find any related threads.

I just updated the firmware on my M10 and it seems like the Majestic Pan Window does not behave the same as prior to updating.

I used to have a Pan Smoothing of 10 and Pan Window of 5 and could achieve a pretty quick response when trying to follow action, pan quickly, etc. After the update, I have to set PS set to 5 and PW set to 1 and, while it does actually pan, it feels slow and sluggish.

My local camera shop just got an M5 and, while playing with it, I noticed it reacted similarly. Even with a Pan Window of 1 I could rotate the MoVI 15-20 degrees before any real response was achieved.

I'm definitely writing the settings to the MoVI anytime I change them.

Did I miss a setting? Is there a way to revert to previous firmware?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Eric: Did you save your settings before you did the firmware, upgrade, and re-load the settings, please? If so, then the issue you're asking about is the that the same settings produce different behavior.

Or is the issue that the upgrade changed the settings?

Thanks
    Andy.

3. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Thanks, Andy.

Yes I did save them prior to updating the firmware. However, I've tried both reloading my saved settings, and defaulting to factory settings. In the latter case, I went thru all the menus and re-adjusted each setting accordingly. In both cases, the MoVI behaves the same way.
    Even with a Pan Window of 1, it pans very slowly.

Cheers,

4. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

Hey Eric,

I thought I was going crazy when I did the firmware upgrade, but I noticed the same thing. Using the exact same number as always, I noticed a slower response when panning and tilting. The response feels slight more exponential (i.e. really slow at first then really quick all of a sudden as you increase the # of degrees past your window). It's not the worst thing in the world, but I did have to take some time to get used to some new pan smoothness settings, which ended up being about 30-50% higher than what they were previously.

Glad to hear I didn't go crazy (or at least that I have company:)

5. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Hey James! I'm a little surprised there's no information in the forums about it. I would love if someone from Freefly could confirm, deny, or explain if there's a setting that I'm skipping.

While this new pan window might work well for slow tracking shots, it's a challenge when trying to follow fast-moving action. Alternatively, is there a way to revert to prior firmware?

Thanks in advance.

6. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

For me, it was more about getting the pan/tilt smoothness settings correct again, after upgrading. I'm pretty sure I settled on the same pan/tilt window settings as before.

In the end, I wouldn't say it was better or worse, just a bit different feel that I got used to after a week or so.

I'm not sure about reverting though. I feel like a couple other people asked about it on the forums, but I can't remember if it ended up being possible.

Eric De Fino likes this.
  7. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Thanks. I'll take a look at that today.

8. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I just did some testing to see if I could replicate what may be happening. I setup two stock M10s with BM4K cameras and sigma 10mm lenses. Same stiffness settings, same Majestic settings.. with one running 3.01 firmware (original M10 firmware) and the other running 3.07. With one in each hand I tried a few different settings with window and smoothness the same on each M10. I noticed no difference between the two on any setup I tried.

Some of what your feeling could have to do with stiffness settings. Changing weight or camera packages with require a change in stiffness settings. With more weight you'll need to have a higher stiffness due to the mass and momentum of the heavier camera. So say if a pan stiffness of 80 feels good on the 5d3, to achieve the same relative stiffness on the Epic it'll be prob approaching 140 or possibly more. As an experiment put your pan stiffness to 5 or 10 and watch how that seems to affect the movement when in fact its just the motor not giving enough input to keep it stable. With that low of a stiffness the window and smoothing settings on an Epic setup are almost irrelevant. You'd be able to spin the handle in 360s because the motor wouldn't have enough input to keep the camera aligned with the handles.

I spoke with Eric offline during my testing. I couldn't replicate what he experienced but I thought I would post my findings for everyone.

Wolf Schiebel and Eric De Fino like this.
  9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for doing those tests, Brad.
    Andy.