/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mounting to a Steadicam Merlin Vest?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Nicolas T, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I own a Steadicam Merlin Vest. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...RM_VEST_MERLIN_ARMVESTPK_Upgrade_Kit_for.html
    I know it can handle the payload in terms of weight of a Movi M5 but am not sure how I would mount it. I would imagine attaching it via the top handle of the Movi, or some alternative part I could insert into the place for the top handle to be able to attach it to the vest.

I also own this piece http://www.camotionllc.com/zpost-merlin-armvest-p-58.html which is what I currently use on my vest. Unfortunately it points vertical instead of horizontal.

2. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

I don't want to tease you, but we have a solution coming for this exact application. I'll try to post a video this weekend.

Jack Klink and Mike Vickers like this.
  3. Adolfo Cantu-Villarreal

Jason,

We're also looking for a steadicam solution, looking forward to seeing what you guys some up with!

4. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

According to the info for the Ninja Star, this adapter would allow for a variety of mounting options, however I am not sure exactly how I would use it to mount to the vest above. From the images on the product page, it looks like it would provide me with 1/4-20 among other mounting options but i would need something additional to mount from that to the actual arm.

5. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Can the M10 spin 180 like the M5? if so could you mount it like that with the ninja star

6. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

You mean can the M5 spin around like the M10? I suspect it can, but never thought about it until I looked at this mount closer. If I were to turn the unit upside down, i could see that as adding possibility for mounting options for the vest, but its still not clear to me how I would mount it to the post of the arm. I only own the arm/vest. Not the Merlin device that would attach to the vest. (As a side note, I actually own the Blackbird stablizer but am selling).

I came up with a design that would replace the top handle. It would be similar to the top handle, or quite a bit longer to allow the Movi to hang out in front of the vest. The longer handle also contains a hole to be installed onto my existing post. I have fashioned one out of solid oak but have not yet tried it out.

7. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Jason, any update on your above post about interfacing the MoVI with a Steadicam arm?

8. Ariel Ferrer

Ariel Ferrer Member

Any updates? any photos?

9. Kurt Myers

Kurt Myers New Member

Hey guys, here's what I've got so far. I haven't had much time to try and balance it (semi) properly. The 45 degree offset seems necessary if you want to use the sled like a boom/jib and make the movi travel from low to high. It's really just cobbled together out of some aluminum bits I had laying around to see if it would work.

Link:

http://imgur.com/gUoN27d

10. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

It looks like your device attaches to the stead-icam itself. I am only interested in attaching the Movi to the arm of the Steadi-cam vest. I do not see much value added to attaching it to the Steadi-cam gimbal itself.