/dist/images/branding/favicon

Micro HDMI-HDMI for GH4

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Nick Adams, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

those are going to send your cable off in front of the camera instead of the rear unfortunately.

2. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

3. Kirk Williams

Kirk Williams New Member

I have the GH4 and am able to get the playback and menu screens to display on the downlink monitor but when trying to view live video recording it will not display on the downlink monitor. I am assuming there is some setting to enable constant video output from the micro hdmi port, does anyone know what else to change or what I am doing wrong? I have tried changing the movie recording formats to AVCHD and MP4 and different quality video formats and nothing has helped.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

When you say “downlink monitor”, you don’t say what electronics are beaming the image to the monitor. The HDMI output settings for playback and recording are in different places, so you need to make sure the recording output is correct for whatever device you’re plugged into.

5. Kirk Williams

Kirk Williams New Member

Just got off the phone with the Panasonic Rep. Just so everyone knows, the lowest quality video the GH4 will output via micro HDMI for 'live view' (playback is different) is 1080p. My current HDMI to AV converter only downgrades up to 720p so it will not give me a live feed. So make sure whatever HDMI to AV converter you choose can convert 1080p or you're SOL!

6. Steve Maller

My old Freefly HDMI converter will do 1080P, although it gets very hot and would prefer 1080i. But it still works...for now. I’ve ordered one of the cheapie white box HDMI converters from an Amazon reseller, which some folks have been using successfully.

7. Kirk Williams

Kirk Williams New Member

It seems that I can only get video when the GH4 is set to PAL on the camera and NTSC on the converter box? Any idea's? Will having the GH4 setup on PAL frequency affect the .Mov files here in the US?

8. Lauri Hakala

Lauri Hakala Member

Duane Bradley and Steve Maller like this.
  9. Patrick Mauler

Patrick Mauler New Member

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

11. Steve Maller

It appears that the GH4’s micro HDMI port does not provide power. I tried using one of the cheapie Amazon HDMI converters, and it doesn’t work unless I provide USB power. So I need to mod the HDMI converter.

Back to the Freefly for now...

12. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

The BlackMagic Pocket has the same angled micro-HDMI port as the GH4, and I went through the same head-scratcher for the right cable some time ago, and stumbled on these:

http://www.angledcables.com/micro-hdmi-cables.html

They work perfect, snug fit, and they angle up (if you order the right one).

In the end, I found the extensions were the best route - micro male right angle to micro female. Then purchase a micro to mini adapter, and finally a really flexible mini to normal HDMI port from the camera to plug into the SmallHD monitor or similar.

13. Matthew Lavin1

Matthew Lavin1 New Member

Hello all,

I don't use the zenmuse but I have gotten my downlink to work with the gh4. I am using the white box converter from amazon.

First, it will not work with the cinema frequency of 24p. Thats because the converter doesn't work with that frequency.

It does work with ntsc 59.9p. I had to set the tv out setting in menu to 1080 and hdmi rec to 1080.

Once everything is plugged in and transmitting you see nothing until you press the playback button on the upper left.

It will then say transmitting to tv. A frozen pic might show up after a few seconds. Don't worry, just half press the shutter to get the live view. It works with any codec and frame rate as long as you are in the correct frequency. ntsc or pal.

Unlike my nex 7, the gh4 supplies power to the converter through the hdmi cable. If you don't like that battery draw, you can get 5v out of your RX with a modified jr servo to mini usb cable.

One question i have is, Can we bypass the conversion and go analog out of the gh4 with the mini usb port? My other Lumix could do that. Can anyone confirm that? One less thing to carry if so.

best.

matthew
    www.aerography.net

Zaid Al-Obaidi likes this.
  14. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

This didn't work on mine. I get the transmitting to TV message then black screen forever.

15. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

Steve Maller likes this.
  16. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

17. Cody Hanthorn

Cody Hanthorn Member

Wow looks like with all of the research when I was picking out mine. I found the GH4 one. One company wanted 40 for a ribbon anotehr about 20. I am using a alpha 6k, and when I was using the DYS gimble there was no clearance at all and only the ribbon type worked. The ribbon I had go up to the converter that was above the gimble. I found the flights in the air the ribbon took some heavy turbulance and wore in one spot and cause the downlink not to work. I wondered if you guys had any pics of the movi and the ribbon or cable coming out of your camera. I am looking for a best solution(s) for attaching the converter I have down below.

The other thing I have to use a straight on on the connection above for the Sony. This is for the Gentles camera controller. EXCELLENT controller. Zoom, video start stop, and shutter all in one with two Aux's out on a transmitter. Wondered how you guys are actuating your GH4 or other cameras.

THANKS

-Cody

18. John Sciarrino

John Sciarrino New Member

I have the GH4 and cannot get it output/convert to my Immersion tx. I have used the white box converters with my Sony Nex7 but a while ago someone suggested getting a blackbox converter and I tried that and when powered with 5v out of vtx I got a live image but distorted. Messed around with the settings and now the distorted image is rolling.

I have tried every suggestion people have offered in this forum as well as Multirotors, different frame rates, hitting the Live view button, etc and I am getting no where. And then when I throw the Sony Nex7 on it works perfectly.

Anyone have any suggestions?

19. Cody Hanthorn

Cody Hanthorn Member

I had a rolling image last week. Not sure why but my display was on the wrong format. NTSC and some other settings I was in and found one that worked. Try that if you have any setttings into the display settings? Not sure if this will help.

20. John Sciarrino

John Sciarrino New Member

No, it was set on the correct region, NTSC in my case.
    I ordered the converter from Kopterworx, in Slovenia.
    Hopefully it will work, it better, $105 with shipping VS about $20 for the white boxes.