/dist/images/branding/favicon

Easy Rig?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Carl F. Coates, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Carl F. Coates

Carl F. Coates New Member

What are pros and cons to using an 'easy rig'with the Movi 10

2. Mark Pugh

Mark Pugh New Member

Pro: you can hold it forever without putting it down.
    Con: bounce when using your feet, and resistance from above if you try to swing the movi left to right, when you're trying to avoid using your feet.
    Another con - it's not easy to lift the movi above your head, with the easyrig.

3. Ben Huddleston

While in tests I thought the Easyrig was going to be awesome with the MoVI, I found it completely unworkable in the real world. The main limitations are that you can't go from low to high smoothly, and since my Easyrig did not have the extra long arm on top, I was constantly pushing it away from my body, fighting the suspension cable the entire time.

I think if you were doing a ton of simple tracking shots at shoulder height with no need for complex moves, then it would work okay. Above-the-liners who are paying the line item though want to see sexy moves all the time. So the Easyrig is out for me.

4. Paul Watt

Paul Watt Member

Interesting. We've got an Easyrig and a Movi coming. I saw some demos with another brand and it looked pretty impressive. Do ya think a longer arm extension (ours is the 9" one) would help?

5. Ben Huddleston

Yeah, I do think a longer arm would help. I would love to give it another shot with a longer one.
    bh

6. Chris Albert

Chris Albert New Member

Any played with the Movi/Easyrig combo more?

7. Paul Watt

Paul Watt Member

We've got an Easyrig 3 with a 300N 9" extension arm. It works really well as long as you're moving smoothly. It's impossible to completely eliminate the vertical translation from the shot, as you'd be able to do with a steadicam, but it gives very nice smooth slow speed shots for sure. It's also perfect for if you're in a moving vehicle of some sort. It's a critical part of the equation I think. It's virtually impossible to lock off at eye height for any length of time without an easyrig. Plus it's so easy to unclip or clip to, you're still able to transfer the rig from person to person. I'm clipping to the crossbar, rather than the top handle. It seems to give a better centre of gravity and lets you put the rig a bit higher too.

George Russell likes this.
  8. Liam C Ward

Liam C Ward New Member

I've been setup with a m10 running an epic with easyrig for about a month now and am really in love with this setup. I disagree that you can't go from low mode to high mode smoothly, it just took a different approach than what I was expecting. rather than stand straight and lift using the cable, I find that it's a lot easier to combining bending at the knees with a smaller movement on the easyrig cable itself. Just had a shot the other day starting on bike tires riding in while traveling with the bike and then transferring to full height while walking and it was smoother than the results I was getting without the easyrig.

It's also a life saver for long takes, short brakes and the fact that we will be shooting with it every day for the next 8 months!

George Russell likes this.
  9. George Russell

George Russell New Member

I do agree with both Paul's and Liam's observations n tips above. I too "broke down" and bought the EZ 3 with 300N 9" extension arm (at just over $4K from 16x9). I shot a music video in Hilo, Hawaii exclusively with my MoVI, all day for about 9 hours total. The 9" extension did keep my MoVI from bumping up against my torso and saved my arms. Of course one would have to keep both hands on the MoVI's handles at all times and never just dangle the rig from the arm; even between takes, or the rig would "oscillate" by pulsing side to side on the pan axis.

Note that you do not have to keep the arm's spring-loaded hook all the way at the end of its 9" arm all the time. I found myself setting the hook inward 2"-3" from the end all the time. But it is nice to know that you have that length of play to work with.

Finally, the the Easy Rig 3 comes with a decent sized belt pouch, made of aerated poly material, wherein I could have on-hand, extra battery and always keep my Android G.U.I. tablet, for adjusting the any of the axis. You could either Velcro this onto your belt, or not, and have small items, such as these, within reach at all times.

George Russell
    owner/op

10. Arturo Bernardi

11. George Russell

George Russell New Member

Aloha Arturo, thanks for sharing the interesting photo. Okay it is small photo but, from what I can see, you have the two strings tied, at front and rear of your Top Handle(?) This would surely get rid of the Pan's self oscillation issue. Arturo, are your two strings elastic or bungee? I am thinking this would absorb some of the vertical bounce(?)

12. Arturo Bernardi

Hi George, the two strings aren't elastic...maybe this would help, i'll try soon..