/dist/images/branding/favicon

Advice on motor upgrade for CineStar 6

Discussion in 'Cinestar 6' started by Björn Smith, May 19, 2014.

1. Björn Smith

Björn Smith New Member

Hi!

I need some advice if I should go for a motor upgrade on my CineStar 6 or not. I'm having a reasonably good working CS6 with FFS-3328 motors (700 kV), which I think is equivalent with Tiger 2814-11. The AUW is 7 kg so it puts ~1.2kg on each motor. It hoovers around 55% throttle with 2x6000mAh 4S batteries and the flight time is approximately 7 minutes with 20 - 25% charge margin left. The props are APC 14x4.7.

I'm pleased with it except that the motors are running really hot. They smell "burnt electronics" after 6 - 7 minutes flight time and I can touch them but barely hold them with my finger tips. Now I have two questions to all you experienced guys out there:

1) How hot can a motor get before there is a risk of failure?
    2) Would it be a good idea to upgrade to Tiger 2826-6?

Many thanks in advance for any kind of help!

/Bjorn

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Bjorn the typical published limits are usually 80C max on the case.

3. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Which KV version of 2826 motors do you want to migrate? If you want to keep your current electronics and run 4S Lipos, you need to go with 760KV version of MT2826. It will give you some head room since they are rated almost 50% more powerful than the 2814 motors at the same KV.

If you want totally more efficient system, you should convert the system to 6S, throw in some big props (you can fit 17" props to CS6 if I'm not mistaken) and you will get a flight time over 10 minutes easily with the same payload.

Another option for a 4S system is to get a lower KV motor and a bigger prop. For instance, MN4010 KV480 with 16"prop will provide you similar thrust and flight time. But this motor has %100 percent more power and you can even use this with 6S system with 13-14" props.

4. Björn Smith

Björn Smith New Member

Hi Gary!

What does max 80C really means? The case doesn't say anything. The box is marked DronesVision FFS-3328 and the motors does not have any marking.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Doesn't seem to matter who makes the motors. 80 degrees centigrade max temps seem to be the target.

6. Björn Smith

Björn Smith New Member

Bought myself a IR thermometer. After 7 minutes calm flight the outrunner is 88 C degrees!!! Will stay on ground until I get my 2826-6 motors :-(

7. Björn Smith

Björn Smith New Member

Did a similar 7 minutes flight with new Tiger 2826-6 motors and the warmest ended up at 47 C degrees immediately after flight.[​IMG] Another side effect was also that it felt more responsive and stable in gusty, wind which it was today during the test.