/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 Lipos won't charge

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Derek Cooper, May 19, 2014.

1. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Hi Gang,

I'm on a downward spiral here.

Cells won't charge now - both cells have about 6V of power left in them. I connect everything as demonstrated to the charger, green light just keeps flashing. Before I would get all red along the cell equalizer lights and the charge status would go red till fully charged.

Now, just the annoying flashing green forever.

Derek

2. Jack Klink

Jack Klink New Member

3. Derek Cooper

Hi Jack,

Saw your post earlier, read through it, tried the proposed solutions - no luck.

Unplugged for a day - that's a new one, I'll give that a try now.

What was the voltage of your cells when you experienced the problems? Mine are both hovering around 6V and wondering if they've been bricked beyond re-charging?

Derek

4. Jack Klink

Jack Klink New Member

Hmm I didn’t check my voltage, but I knew that one of my batteries was about half charged already. It didn't matter which battery I used, it always had this issue. Seemed charger related.

5. Derek Cooper

I'm going to visit my local RC expert and see what he thinks about the situation with the LiPos and report back shortly.

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Derek if the total voltage is only 6V (1.5v per cell) the battery is probably not salvageable. Once the cells go below 3V each a LiPo is usually considered to be a throw away.

7. Derek Cooper

That's what I feared - how does that happen though? Tabb says in the videos the Movi won't let them discharge that much, yet both appear to now be bricked.

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

The MoVI will shutdown with low voltage. But as an example if you left them plugged in with the switch still on there may still be a small amount of power going through and continue to drain the battery. Example leave it plugged in after use with the switch on and in the stand for several days might be one way for it to occur. Use a Y adapter, not suggested, to power other things and forget to unplug.

9. Derek Cooper

That's what happened - was working for hours last night trying to resolve the whacked startup sequence that pans, tilts and rolls the gimbal at startup to a non-neutral position and stays there - see other post. Likely totally drained the battery by leaving it on for hours and hours while working on the problem.

10. Derek Cooper

Problem solved - visited my RC buddy and he was able to coax them both back above 3V per cell, so now we're charging back to full charge and everything looks really promising with the cells. All charging balanced. Nice. Now back to the wigging-out behaviour of the Movi once the cells get a good charge.