/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi M5 Cinestar 8 Build

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Anthony Shorten, May 18, 2014.

1. Anthony Shorten

Anthony Shorten New Member

Hi All,

Just got my new Movi M5 and I'm absolutely loving it. The photo attached shows it after I added my 5.8ghz stinger. The question I have is, is there any way to add additional control or an additional trigger over the existing spectrum setup that came with the movi. With my old radian setup I could add triggers or lan-C off the radians. I want to add a trigger for my A7R so i can take stills and trigger video.

Regards
    Anthony

Attached Files:

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Anthony only ideas to date seem to be to add a regular AR receiver. Satellite would still be on the MoVI and the AR would be used for other channels like triggers.

3. Anthony Shorten

So another radio and receiver for triggering or follow focus...... need more hands i think :)

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

If you have extra switches on your current setup you don't need another radio. There are instructions here on the forum. search on Spektrum and AR. Basically you connect the AR to the Satellite, bind them to the radio and then separate them. You would need a power source for the AR. If you don't have the correct switches available/remaining on your current radio then you might need to upgrade.

5. Anthony Shorten

Hi Gary,
    Sorry to sound like a total Noob but what us an AR ? and can you direct me to the thread.
    Thanks in advance.

Anthony

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Anthony: AR is an abbreviation for Air Receivers and refers to a product line from Spektrum.
    You'll see the product range here: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Air/Receivers.aspx

Spektrum's system is unique in that there can be two or more receivers -- a main receiver and one or more satellite receivers.
    Before you can use a given transmitter and receiver(s) you need to electronically "bind" the transmitter ("Tx") to the receivers ("Rx").

Once you have done that, Spektrum satellite receivers can be used "stand alone" as you see on the side of the M5.

Normally, you need to have a primary Rx connected to a satellite Rx in order to bind the satellite Rx to the Tx -- however, for the MōVI that's not the case. Using the Freefly Configurator app, you can bind directly with just the satellite receiver.

Gary's point was that you can connect the main AR Rx to the satellite, bind them both to the same Tx, and then separate them, using additional switches on the TX to control devices connected to the AR. Both Rx (main and satellite) will decode signals from the same Tx, so you have effectively solved the problem you are trying to solve -- use additional channels to control cameras etc.

One limitation is that the Tx models support different numbers of channels -- so, for example, the DX7s Tx only has a maximum of seven channels, six of which are used for the MōVI (channel 5 is typically not used). You may therefore need to upgrade to a Tx that supports more channels. The DX8 Tx, as its name implies, supports 8 channels.

Have a look in the MōVI M5 manual on page 04-P24 and you'll see which channels the MōVI already uses.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Anthony something else to consider. Several folks have found that mounting the video TX where you have it may cause issues with the MoVI. Most have reported that it interferes with the remote operation with the Spektrum satellite RX. Better to mount it on one of the other legs to move it away from the MoVi controller.