/dist/images/branding/favicon

CastleCreations ESC (Multirotor firmware) or Re-Flashed ESC by Simonk?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Sergei Kozin, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Sergei Kozin

Sergei Kozin New Member

Hi everyone!
    On my Cinestar 6, I am using re-flashed HK BlueSeries ESC. Now i want to buy CastleCreations ESC for my next Cine-bird.
    I am wondering which is more efficient, re-flashed ESC (SimonK) or CastleCreations(Multirotor firmware 4.02)?

2. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

The better choice is Castle creation.:cool:

Good performances
    Stay cold after long flight
    New firmware for multirotors
    Conception far better than others ESC.

The only problem is the price, but they are now in promo on their website, 84$ for 50 Amps ice Phoenix ESC...

3. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Someone should send CC an email asking them to support i2C. Imagine a 50A ESC that can be used directly with Mkrokopter with no fuss.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Is "someone" going to, Howard? :)
    Me? I'm no-one.

Andy.

Kristian C likes this.
  5. Sergei Kozin

Sergei Kozin New Member

Yes, quality of Castle Creations definitely better than the other controllers. That is what attracts.
    Here only confuse me - their throttle response. Same, like on re-flashed ESC?

Jason Herring likes this.
  6. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

I have castle Ice lite, that is used mainly for been reliable, and the data (very needed on or heavier bird). But coulnd´t tell if better preformance, don´t think so
    And using Tmors escs as well. Very Very happy with them for the cost benefit,

7. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I have a set (8) of the Castle Phoenix Ice 50's that I will be running on my copter. I am running them on the new 4.02 Firmware with the Multirotor setting. I will be hoping to have a maiden with it this weekend (as long as my new wire shows up today for the power distribution board).

Ill comment back when I get it going.

Josh

Feedback likes this.
  8. Pavlos Antoniou

we are looking forward for your comments.

9. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I think in regards to throttle response, there is definitely a limit as to how fast mechanically the prop can change speed. I believe the new firmware in the castle esc's can update fast enough to change throttle 4 times per prop revolution, which as I understand is fast enough.

I have been running the ICE 50s on 6S for a couple months now with no problems, way cooler temps than a 4s setup. I think they're on the 4.01 firmware still.

10. Pavlos Antoniou

With this firmware these escs are becoming 600hZ escs??

11. daniel clarke

daniel clarke Member

hi all

trying to decide what esc to go for has been keeping me up at nighto_O i want my cs8 360. to be a heavy lift machine, i got qc-3328 motors and wkm. i am almost sure i am going with the castle ice 50, are they worth the money? and if so where is a good place to get them, horizon hobby want over 80 $s to ship to europe. any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    many thanks.

12. Josh Lambeth

After about 6 flights with the Phoenix ice 50's I love them! They stay cool and have very quick response times. I think they are worth every penny!

Josh

13. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

14. Josh Lambeth

Thats an AWESOME deal!!!

I got a sweet deal on mine from a local hobby shop. $68 each plus didn't have to pay shipping!

15. daniel clarke

daniel clarke Member

its great to hear that josh, i ordered them last sunday so their on the way. did not get as good a deal as you guys, cc website were looking for $90 which is weird, got them from tower hobby in the end $85.
    thanks for the info guys.

16. Gunter

Gunter New Member

Hi All,

Interesting reading about the CC ESC's. I have a couple of questions, hopefully someone can answer.

- Are the CC Ice 50 esc's suitable for an Axi 4120-20 motor on a 10kg heavy lifter? (DJI WKM, CS8)

- Do they need specific programming, or will they work straight out of the box? Reading their literature, you can fly them without doing any programming, but they don't say anything about multirotors on their website.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Gunter.

17. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I would think they would be fine with those motors. I use with the tiger 3515 and they don't break a sweat. But I'm closer to 7kg, though.
    Setting them up is very easy with the USB adapter and the CC utility. There is a specific multirotor option when you update to the latest firmware that you will need to enable. You can set the values on one, then save as a file to load onto all the other esc's.
    I really like having the data logging abilities.

18. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Gunter I run them on my CS8 with 700KV motors. Yes they need to be programmed with the USB adapter. I used the settings that Hoverfly suggests and they work great. Only 'complaint' and it is minor is that the logging function doesn't overwrite when the memory is full. Basically you get 1 hour of data and then it stops recording. Other than that minor issue they have been fine and aren't breaking a sweat lifting 8kg.

Attached Files:

19. Gunter

Gunter New Member

Thanks for the help guys. They look like the ones to go for! We are also looking at Kopterworx KW8 and KW10 motors as an option, I will contact them to see if they are compatible and fly well.

20. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Gunter if you go KW8 or KW10 as you talk with the Kopterworx guys look at their ESC's. They look to be price competitive based on what is in the market today.