/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI Stiffness/Tightness and Balancing Issue

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Clarke Mayer, May 13, 2014.

1. Clarke Mayer

Clarke Mayer New Member

Hey All,

I have barely used my MoVI M5 since I picked it up last week. Everything was working great, and then I went to go pack it up for a shoot I'll be going on early in the AM, and the MoVI unit felt really tight. I'm kind of freaking out, it doesn't seem to make any sense. The loose/free ability to balance the camera when it is off is gone. I feel like the tilt and roll are giving me so much resistance. The pan is nice and loose, but the tilt and roll are like a rocking chair? What gives? I mean you can literally try to set the roll and it will whip back in place so that it is balanced. I have treated this equipment like gold since the day I got it. It doesn't make any sense to me. Why suddenly the unit would feel so tight and resists balancing. It seems to work fine when you boot it up, but how is one supposed to get proper balance? I really want to use this on a project I'll be working on all week, and I don't understand what could have gone wrong considering when I last turned it on, everything was cool.

Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find anything about this on the forums and I'm really on a tight deadline.

Thanks!

Clarke

2. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

Clarke, would you be able to upload a short video of what's going on? Be sure to show the behavior both when it's on and when it's off.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Sounds like you still have the MoVI powered up?

4. Clarke Mayer

Clarke Mayer New Member

Thanks guys, I'll be arriving at my destination shortly and will post videos as soon as I can.

5. Clarke Mayer

Clarke Mayer New Member

Hey All,

Here is a quick video. We only have an internet hot spot, so I wanted to get a quick video out. As I said previously, the unit runs fine when running. This is without a battery at all. Thanks!

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Clarke your setup does not appear to be balanced. Have you watched the videos on how to balance the setup that are available on the Freeflysystems.com site?

7. Matt Sharp

Matt Sharp Member

You need to adjust the camera tilt balance to raise the center of gravity inline with the tilt motor.

8. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

Agreed, looks like it's just very bottom heavy. Raise the camera vertically, and you should be looking a lot better.

But watch all of the tutorial videos first, in addition to the one Matt posted above. They go over about 90% of what you need to get started.

9. Clarke Mayer

Clarke Mayer New Member

Hey all,

I would never waste all of your time by not watching all necessary tutorials first. Like I said, I watched all tutorials 3 times over weeks ago, and the resistance I'm getting still feels odd. I didn't have it till yesterday. I'll go try for another balance though and get back to you, thanks.

10. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Definitely need to learn how to balance. It’s really straightforward once you get it. But it’s absolutely essential. In your case, the camera has to move higher in the saddle to start. It’s too low. Beyond that, you just have to follow the instructions in the video.

11. Clarke Mayer

Clarke Mayer New Member

Thanks for your help guys.Like I said, I had no trouble balancing it all week,
    But in between projects it must have gotten out of whack somehow and
    I may have been over complicating it. I retried with a totally new camera and lens,
    and got it working great. Probably just user error, but better safe than sorry. The Freefly
    Community is awesome, thanks for the help guys.

12. Michael De Florio

Michael De Florio New Member

yep...after using and thinking l was balance king... l adjusted a few things and 'bam'..would not sit right, felt weird, tight etc... and like most people and professionals alike... instead of staying calm... l freaked out and thought...oh no....but then heart rate went back to normal and read this post... nothing like a good forum to keep us on the straight and narrow...or the "balanced and steady"...hahaha cheers guys, :)